Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Riggs Could Have Used a Talk From Murtaugh

Mel Gibson’s latest interview has prompted me to analyze his fall from grace. It’s a smart public relations move to confront the issue in a national forum and open yourself up to scrutiny. His PR and marketing machine is on the right track.

However, I don’t understand how his drunken rant has turned him into a pariah in Hollywood and the public’s eye. I will say that I don’t condone any message or actions of hate or rage but I think when you’re skunky drunk like he was it, doesn’t necessarily count. How may times has a family member been inebriated and felt compelled to share secrets? I don’t need to know that Uncle Stan sleeps in the nude but I realize he was drunk and his TMI meter was broken.

I understand that Hollywood is dominated by Jews and that’s great but did his drunken speech really measure up to the overt racism they must face on a daily basis. I imagine they’re confronted with ignorance wherever they go. My personal theory is that he fell out of favor the minute he started preaching his conservative brand of Catholicism. We love our celebrities to be colorful and eccentric but nothing turns us sour more than feeling someone is lecturing you. Hello, Tom Cruise.

It didn’t help that his mega-huge-gigantic-blockbuster The Passion of the Christ alienated many and contained controversial scenes regarding the Jews role in killing Christ. There was already bad blood. For some it might have been religion for others it was the money and career boost. Up until his DUI arrest, all you heard was what a fantastic guy he was. He loved his family and practical jokes. He gets pulled over and stupidly speaks and all of a sudden he’s a deranged bigot who should be banned from the motion picture industry.

He definitely needs to atone for his poor choices. This shouldn’t be made easy for him. I just find it disappointing that it wasn’t a bigger concern that he was driving drunk and could have killed innocent people. I guess that’s okay in Hollywood. It’s sad that more compassion wasn’t shown to a man that after years of sobriety fell off the wagon. I guess that’s okay in Hollywood. No once seemed to notice that a married man was out cavorting with young girls the night he was arrested. I guess that’s okay in Hollywood.

We now know the one thing that's not okay in Hollywood.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

It's true - the thing with the Passion left people feeling suspicious of him, and his Jew comments did him in.

3:20 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

The probelm with Mel's rant is that he doesn't have the guts to say"Look,I heard that kind of crap from my dad for years so it's ingrained into my system. I could've killed someone while I was that crazy drunk. I'm a self destructive personality and I really need to get my act together instead of promoting another movie."

The drunk driving is terrible but if Halle Berry and Lindsay Lohan can still have viable careers after their auto mishaps,you can measure the level that's been put on the radar.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home