Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Worshiping at the altar of false idols

Remember a long time ago when the person you looked up to most was your mother, teacher or favorite athlete. I’m pretty sure I thought Dorothy Hamill was a goddess when I was in elementary school. I truly wanted to be a figure skater. I wanted to be just like her, dazzling smile and sparkling personality, minus the butch haircut. I couldn’t imagine my hair doing the Hamill without sprouting a fro.

Over time my idols changed. I went through my tiny dancer stage from ages 4-18. I seriously wanted to be a ballerina until I developed. That’s putting it nicely. I went from a training bra to a C cup without looking back. Debbie Allen and Nia Peeples were the ultimate dancing divas in my life. You can tell I was a Fame fanatic complete with hot pink leg warmers and Capezio shoes. Mind you I wore these at school and in dance class. I hear leg warmers are coming back. I took tap, ballet, jazz and pointe for 14 years. I even took modern dance in college.

I then went through my news anchor stage. My degree is in broadcast journalism. Up until graduation, I thought I was Holly Hunter in Broadcast News. Only I would have kept William Hurt despite his ethical lapse. Now I pretty much idolize anyone who is living their life with truth and grace. I admire people who are really inventive and groundbreaking at what they do.

I think this is why watching people idolize faux celebrities is tap dancing on my last nerve. I don’t understand granting celebrity status for no reason. Having an affair with a married man, attending every party on the planet or appearing on a dating reality show does not make you a celebrity. It makes you an adulterer, a party girl and desperate. I know it’s been said that everyone will have 15 minutes of fame but it seems that some have put it on a continuous loop. Neverending.

On the one hand, I can’t blame these false idols for showing some marketing know-how and parlaying that 15 minutes into a career that lasts a few months. Take it while it’s hot. On the other hand, these idols send a message to young people and those with simple minds that there is no skill necessary for celebrity status.

Here’s cautionary tale. Not long ago I was in Old Navy when to my horror there was an 18-year-old girl with straight blonde hair, pink straw cowboy hat, pink micro-mini, pink tank top and pink Uggs. Did I mention the small yippy dog in her arms? This isn’t Europe. Keep your mutt at home. She looked ridiculous but in her mind she was Paris Hilton.

False idol worship trivializes the skill and integrity of real idols. All of a sudden you’re a chomp for having a 9 to 5 job and benefits. WARNING: I’m about to get really mid-western here. What happened to respecting teachers, firefighters, doctors, artists and writers? It’s sad when young women would rather be Paris Hilton than Linda Ellerbee. I’m not saying that Hollywood personalities aren’t important. I’m just saying that being an actor or singer is a profession. I don’t have to like your movies or music but there is merit in the talent no matter how marginal it may be. But there is little merit in calling a lifestyle a profession. Being part of a reality show that doesn’t result in a prize or contract is not a profession. It’s a distraction.

As much as I love pop culture and the flavors of the month (Sienna Miller), I realize a lot of it an illusion and slick marketing. I’m okay with that but don’t you don’t have to idolize it.

And that was my rant for the day folks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post. thanks. :)

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home