Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Paparazzi- Friend or Foe ?

Last night as I was about to hit the hay, I ran into a familiar sight - Nicole Richie. Ms. Richie was on The Tyra Banks Show sharing her pearls of wisdom with the former Supermodel/budding business vixen and her audience. I still haven’t quite figured out this show. It’s extremely boring and very 80s talk show in subject matter. You know, my boyfriend cheated on me or I think no one will ever love me. I give her an A for effort and she is sincere with people. That should keep the show around a little longer.

Ms. Richie was sitting in her innocent little girl stance while painting the pitiful picture of how the paparazzi stalk her. Tyra made the appropriate faces to express her shock and disapproval. They even set up a little experiment, which included little cameras placed in their expensive Gucci bags to illustrate the point. The cameras captured the paparazzi shadowing the two as they shopped. Maybe my soul has turned black but I didn’t feel bad for her. There I said it! Don’t judge me!

Understand this. The paparazzi have gotten out of control with their stalking techniques. Double teaming Reese Witherspoon while you spew nasty remarks just isn’t right. That’s harassment. There should and eventually will be a law protecting celebrities from overzealous photographers and videographers. It will probably be called the Lohan Act. I like looking at the candid celeb pics in the gossip rags as much as the next gal but to what lengths will you go to snap Mary Kate and Ashley sipping their hearty lunch of iced coffee. I realize there are names that sell. I did work as a tabloid reporter but this hunt for the $1million picture has gone haywire.

With that said, I firmly believe some celebs, especially the younger set, court the media. You can’t have it both ways. I’m just curious how some celebs can actually do their shopping and visit their child’s soccer game in peace. You never see Denzel Washington or Jodie Foster being hounded by the paparazzi. If I see one more picture of Paris Hilton leaving a party, Lindsey Lohan’s private parts, Britney Spears barefoot in public or Nicole Richie attempting to eat a burger, I’m gonna lose it. Oh, too late. I just lost it.

I admire celebrities who realize that their privacy may be compromised due to their profession but they still lead a life. They’re tough with the media when they need to be but seem to carry on in spite of the challenges. Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Uma Thurman Mariah Carey, Ricky Martin, Justin Timberlake, Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher should all be commended for showing style and grace under extreme paparazzi interest. Another tier of clever celebrity tends to go stealth altogether. Topher Grace, Matt Damon and Alicia Keys are able to maintain an extremely private side while being a public figure.

My message to Nicole Richie is simple. Keep your ass at home. Oh, and give Justin a call. He can give you some tips.

2 Comments:

Blogger PJS said...

Yeah, boo hoo.

You just received MILLIONS of dollars for your onscreen work in a 90-minute movie, and life is unbearable becaues people want pictures of you.

Go work at Taco Bell if you want privacy.

Or, as Joan Crawford said, "If you want to see the girl next door, go next door."

12:26 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

I agree that while the paparazzi can get seriously out of control(prime example is Princess Diana's untimely end),some of pseudo celebs love to whine about not having"privacy"while posing for pics at the drop of a hat.

What kills me is the Britney Spears attitude of"the media's picking on me" when they're doing stupid stuff out in the open. Hey,Britney,if you don't want folks to talk about your lack of parenting skills,maybe you should get some along with a carseat and a stroller,Genuis Queen!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home