Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Lifetime movie casting

One of my numerous guilty pleasures besides Taco Bell, reality shows and cheesy 70s music is Lifetime Television. There’s nothing better than sitting mindlessly in front of the tube on a lazy Sunday and watching some woman sort out her screwed up life. For the record, I like the love stories not the creepy true life movies about stalkers or rapists. Too much reality. I also refuse to watch anything with Tori Spelling. I paid my dues watching Beverly Hills, 90210.

It may sound bizarre but part of the fun of watching these movies is imagining who would play me. So, I always ask people, what actor would portray them in a Lifetime movie of their life. I follow it up with who would play you in the big screen version? I just added another. Who would play you in the independent film based on your life?

I’ve had a lot of time to think about this and here’s what I came up with:

Lifetime

Gabrielle Union- I like her girl-next-door meets hot chick vibe. She was hilarious in Deliver Us From Eva. The movie sucked but she was strong. I think her smart confident demeanor can capture strength while her humor is similar to mine. I smell an Emmy and Golden Globe. I'd also cast Mark Consuelo as my husband J. Kelly shouldn’t have all the fun.

Big Screen

Halle Berry- Hell, if you’re going to cast someone it might as well be the sexiest actress with an Academy Award. I think she’s grown into a respectable actress and her casting guarantees a big opening weekend. I team her once again with Benjamin Bratt as J.

Queen Latifah- I took another route with selection just in case they want to make it a comedy or musical. The Queen’s persona is a great representation of the Diva’s. However, she should go by her real name of Dana Owens. If her mama calls her Dana, I’m gonna call her Dana. I’d cast John Leguizamo as J in a comedy and Marc Anthony if it’s a musical.

Independent

Parker Posey- This girl is fierce. I believe in nontraditional casting and Parker is perfect to play me. She embodies my quirkiness. I would cast Jeffrey Wright as J. I’ve love him in everything especially Broken Flowers and Basquiat.


Who would play you in the movie version of your life?

12 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Lifetime: Mila Kunis
Big Screen: Angelina
Independent: Maggie Gyllenhal

The first 2, for the many times I've been told I resemble them (I'm not sayin' I agree, I'm just sayin' that if over 15 unrelated people have told me this, I should just go with it).

Maggie because I like her.

1:54 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

Lifetime: Valerie Bertinelli
Big Screen: Robert Sean Leonard
Independent: Peter Saarsgaard

1) because she's the star of EVERY Lifetime movie
2) because of the eyebrows
3) because I couldn't get my first choice, Liev Schreiber. Scheduling conflicts.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Lifetime: My real-life second cousin, Beverly Hills 90210 hunk Vincent Young. Squint your eyes real tight and you can see the family resemblance.

Big Screen: Greg Kinnear. I've been told I favor him, also if you squint a bit. Plus, I wouldn't mind doing him some favors. :-)

Indy: I'll get back to you.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Indy: Jeremy Davies (unless Diva knows better)

10:12 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

Lifetime: Ricki Lake

Big Screen: Renee Zellweger

Indie: Toni Collette

It would be tricky to cast for me,since big girls are usually persona non grata in films(or the goofy gal sidekick) but both Toni and Renee have no trouble gaining weight for a part if needed,so that would work out.

You didn't mention who would be the director but I would want either John Waters(imagine him and Ricki making a Lifetime movie!)or Curtis Hanson.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lifetime: Jane Seymour

Big Screen: Babs

Indy: Holly Woodlawn

10:15 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

Oh, are we doing director too? Then I SO demand Tim Burton. Hell, he can even do it in claymation if he wants.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Paul Thomas Anderson would have to direct it. Boogie Nights and Magnolia were brilliant.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

James L. Brooks

And for the wacky sequel, Betty Thomas

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fosse!!! But since he's no longer available, I'd accept Rob Marshall.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Jeff, I think William H. Macy or James Spader would be perfect for your independent film.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

As for director, Edward Zwick. I'm all about the melodrama.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home