Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Where did the M go in MTV?

Call me a purist but where did all the music go on MTV. Don't get me wrong I believe MTV is a marketing genius and pop culture icon but they have strayed too far from music. Not to date myself but I've been watching MTV since day one. MTV is all about music videos or it used to be.

I do enjoy some of the programming. Pimp My Ride is funny as hell. Cribs is an insightful glimpse into celeb life. I've been known to watch Laguna Beach(don't judge me. I'm weak!). MTV is brilliant with their documentary series including True Life, Diary and Making the Video. But enough is ENOUGH. I don't get to watch videos in their entirety unless I'm watching early morning or late night. But all of these reality series is enough.

Besides the Osbournes whose British eccentric meets vulgar rockers show made riveting television, not much else is must see TV. MTV needs to rethink its programming. How much Real World and accompanying challenge shows can one watch? Aren't those kids close to 30 now? The Real World was in trouble as soon as they left New Orleans. Who gives a shit about Travis Barker and Shannon Moakler? Can Run's House be more boring? Yawn! What are the parents of those spoiled brats thinking on Sweet Sixteen? Does a 16-year-old really need a $50,000 party, $5,000 gown and a brand new Mercedes? And don't get me started on My Own ... or Next. I realize this is geared toward a younger generation but surely they have to be bored by this.

Where's the music? I WANT MY MTV!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home