Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I can't stop watching Rent. What's wrong with me?

I didn’t even like the movie that much. I don’t know what it is but I’m thinking it’s the music. My inner high school drama geek side is coming out. I must have watched bits and pieces of Rent least six times since it debuted on Starz movie channel. Did I mention I saw it in the movie theater and was disappointed there? I’m out of control. I feel like a meth addict on a two-week binge.

Let’s face it, Rent is brilliant in depicting a narrow slice of NYC bohemia during the early days of the AIDS crisis. While I applaud that, I still don’t get why they won’t pay their rent. I found myself mesmerized by melodies like “Seasons of Love” and “Out Tonight” only to be turned off by the pseudo-rock songs that sounded more like talking than singing. Yet, I keep watching. Pray for me!

In my defense, I’ve always been a musical junkie. You might have heard of my groundbreaking turn as Hortense in the McKinley High School revival of The Boyfriend. Or maybe you heard of me breaking the color barrier as Mother Abbess in the Sound of Music. If not, my mom would be glad to show you the video.

I guess my point is I have much love for the musical and millions of Americans must agree with me. Studios keep bringing Broadway musicals to the big screen. You can believe I will be there on opening day for Dreamgirls. What’s so special about people breaking into song and dance at the drop of a hat? For me, it’s a matter of suspending belief and giving into imagination. I was never into witches and dragons but I started taking dance class at 4. Musicals are my Lord of the Rings and I am thankful for them.

Below are some of my favorites:

Grease, 1978
Need I say more, a classic. Did I mention I was also a Pink Lady in my high school’s production. I had no lines but had the cool pink satin jacket.

Sweet Charity, 1969
It’s worth watching for epics “Hey Big Spender” and “There has to be Some Life Better Than This”. Shirley MacLaine is magical.

All That Jazz, 1979
I adore Bob Fosse. His choreography is distinct and timeless.

Cabaret, 1972
Liza at her best. It’s colorful, vibrant and full of energy. “Money Makes the World Go Round” is to die for.

West Side Story, 1961
I don’t even have to see the entire movie to fall apart at the end. “America” has the best staging.

The Turning Point, 1977
One of my favorite movies. It’s not technically a musical but ahh the dancing. Dream-like and lovely. Mikhail Baryshnikov is sublime and yummy.

What is your favorite movie musical or is the genre dead?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grease 2, baby.

And, need I say it? The Sound of Music.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on "Cabaret". Not just a great musical but a great film. Period.

Also love "Hair". Fantastic film. Milos Forman did an amazing job filming a show that everyone thought was unfilmable. The producers of "A Chorus Line" shoulda got him rather than Richard Attenborough to direct the film version of "ACL".

Check out AFI's list of the 25 best musicals ever, at http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/musicals.aspx .

6:06 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Don't forget "The Wizard of Oz," "Chicago" and "Mary Poppins."

"Funny Girl" is a bit long, but the score is great and Streisand's performance is one of the best ever committed to film.

As for the worst movie musicals, I agree with jazzhands about "A Chorus Line" and also nominate Robert Altman's awful musicalization of "Popeye." Brilliant casting, great art design, dreadful music.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as we're talking classic comics turned into dreadful musicals, let's not forget Dick Tracy.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home