Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

I haven't laughed this hard since Mary put the gel in her hair

I saw Little Miss Sunshine yesterday. It was unbelievably hilarious. Saying that it is about a dysfunctional family is simplifying the plot. I don't know that I even believe in dysfunctional families anymore since at least one or more of the family members reminds me of someone I know including myself. Face it, we're all dysfuntional in some way. I've embraced that truth and am okay with it.

Toni Collette is exceptional as always as a mother struggling to understand her children, husband and brother. If you haven't seen Muriel's Wedding, you should. And when did Greg Kinnear become an actor? He's slightly creepy as a self-help guru wannabe. There are telling scenes of the family simply interacting with each other. The dinner scene is excellent. I liked the fact that none of their cups matched. I got a sense that this was a real family not an polished portrait of the perfect family. Steve Carell, Alan Arkin and Paul Dano were great in supporting roles but the light of the movie is little Abigail Breslin. She brings a fresh original face to her character. You rooted for her and her oddball family.

All I can say is the last half hour of this movie was splendid. I laughed so hard, I had tears streaming down my face. I left the theater with a headache. I encourage everyone to go see this movie before the buzz gets too great.

If you've seen the movie, I'm interested to know what you thought. What was your favorite moment?

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I adore Little Miss Sunshine and Olive's routine had me damn near hysterical! Toni Collette rocks-Muriel's Wedding was the first film that I ever saw her in and became a fan for life(she was wonderful as the lead in In Her Shoes also).

Kinnear's done some good work playing jerky guys over the years,particularly in Nurse Betty and Mystery Men.

10:33 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

Loved it.

Random factoid: the actress playing "Olive" was also the little girl in M. Night Shamalamalamadingdong's "Signs". She played the little girl who said, memorably, "there's a monster in my room can I have a glass of water?"

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home