Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

UB40 takes me back

I was traveling on the Metromover this morning through downtown Miami when I heard the reggae-tinged “Red Red Wine” pulsing through my headphones. (That’s right. I’ve embraced public transportation since my car crapped out on me. I’m one with the “real” people.) The UB40 tune immediately took me back to high school.

This song will always remind me of Carlos, the luscious bronzed exchange student from Brazil. I had a thing for Carlos and spent most of my senior year trying to get his attention. The song was wildy popular and was playing the first time I drove past his house. Yes, I used to drive past his house on my way home from dance class every week. And yes, I did it more than once. Don’t judge me. I was young and in lust. They didn’t make them like Carlos in my small Ohio town.

Looking back at pictures, Carlos resembled a runt from the Menudo litter but he was exotic. Unfortunately, there’s no happy ending to this high school tale. Carlos came to my graduation party but blew me off for the big date. That’s okay. I’m sure he’s fat and balding in some Brazilian favela while I’m fabulous and living a glamorous life in Miami. Not that I’m bitter.

My jaunt down memory lane reminded me of how music can transport you to another time and place. If you’re like me, that memory is vivid and full of the smells and tastes from that moment. Below are some of my all-time favorite music memories:

“Fly Robin Fly” by Silver Convention
This song will always remind me of weekend drives with my parents. They used to have these great 8-track cassettes with titles like “Soul Gold 77” and “Soul Gold 74” which contained the best soul music from that year. I can still hear that loud “clack clack” sound as my dad pushed that 8-track in the car stereo. I can feel the fresh wind on my face and see the metallic pink pinwheel spinning in my hand.

"In the Ghetto" by Elvis Presley
My mother adores this song. This may be one of the few songs I remember her singing. My mom shatters the myth that all Black people can sing and dance. She can't do either. It was impossible to teach her the electric slide. So, to hear her commit to a song is really something. It's so much a part of her, I use it as her ring tone.

“Still” by The Commodores
This was before Lionel started dancing on the ceiling. I remember my sister sitting on the floor listening to this song through enormous earmuff-like headphones. She had tears streaming down her face as she proclaimed this the most touching song, ever. My sister also introduced me to early Prince and Parliament.

“True” by Spandau Ballet
This was a favorite at the first boy/girl parties I attended. I remember dimmed lights and that stiff side-to-side sway we called dancing. It was awkward but set the tone for the years ahead. Every time I hear this song I think of “Spin the Bottle” and pizza.

“Wild Thing” by Tone Loc
Imagine an 18-year-old girl allowed to take three of her friends to Cleveland for the Club MTV Tour. The young lady wore a turquoise booty dress with hot pink belt, flowered tights, dangling to her shoulder earrings and sky-high teased hair. Her friends wore assorted animal prints, bolero jackets, polka dots and more gravity-defying hair. The girls danced and sang to live performances by Was Not Was, Information Society, Paula Abdul and Milli Vanilli. The girls really enjoyed the singing of the Milli Vanilli guys. They were great vocalists and hunky with those long braids. The highlight of the evening was Tone Loc who brought down the house by pulling girls on stage to dance. And for one night our heroine danced, grinned and had the time of her life on stage with Tone Loc.

What are your special music memories?

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I grew up in the Seventies,a time before MTV(I sound ancient,don't I?)and certain songs just bring me back to those days,mostly ABBA and The Bee Gees.

I do have a strong memory based around one more modern tune: Give It Away by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I went to my first horror convention with a girlfriend from work,her fiance and a couple of her friends in NYC during January. On the way back,we were all singing along to the Chili Peppers' on the car radio(some of the group had smoked some pot-I just said no but probaly got a contact high from such close quarters). It's a damn fine driving song,IMO.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home