Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Studio 60 brings back smart TV

Just so you know. I was set to blog on something else but after watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip last night, I was compelled to write about it. Finally, a TV drama that engages you while making you laugh. Studio 60 is brimming with intelligent dialogue, witty characters and a bird's eye view into network dealings and sketch comedy shows.

I know what you're thinking. The West Wing did this years ago but the kicker here is the subject matter. Studio 60 engages you in a more accesible topic. Comedy shows. West Wing was a bit high-brow and alienating with its political backdrop. However, I always admired the cast and writers for bringing smart programming to TV. All this from the gal whose guilty pleasures include America's Next Top Model and Dog the Bounty Hunter. With that said, I think I'm the perfect example of a viewer who loves reality TV but craves well-written dramas and sitcoms. The two aren't exclusive.

Studio 60 is brought to you by genius Executive Producers Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme. Tommy Schlamme (pronounced Sha-la-me). Say that five times. I love his name. It was always fun to hear people try to pronounce it when they won for West Wing. Studio 60 chronicles the backstage dilemnas on the Saturday Night Live-inspired Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The premiere episode exploded with a Emmy-worthy monologue by the show's Executive Producer after having a controversial skit pulled. Judd Hirsch was brilliant and accurate as he exulted the downfall and commercialization of television.

His live speech and eventual firing rockets the plot into motion. Steven Weber is chilling as the no nonsense network chariman, Jack Rudolph, while Amanda Peet is brash and independent as the new network president, Jordan McDeere, who must make sense of the mess immediately. Her idea is to bring back the writing team of Matt Albie (Matthew Perry) and Danny Tripp (Bradley Whitford). Matt and Danny were fired years earlier but have since become Hollywood's power writing team.

The writing is tight and fast paced. It feels like an Robert Altman film. You're not bored. Matthew Perry proved what I long suspected - that he is the funniest Friend. I look forward to meeting the supporting cast and seeing what the future holds. If the first show is any measure, it will be a great success. It certainly has the marketing and public relations push to get it noticed.

It's definitely worth a watch! Believe me, I don't pop my cork for every show I see.

3 Comments:

Blogger PJS said...

OMG I can't believe you just quoted "Hey, Big Spender".

OK, OK, I'll try to figure out when this show comes on and give it the old look-see. You've intrigued me.

Could Matthew Perry BE any funnier?

3:47 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

I saw the pilot episode on DVD,thanks to Netflix,and my interest is peaked. It's hard to resist smart,funny writing,plus that insider self mocking that comes from loving your work.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

PJS, I through the last line in for you and Jazzhands. Glad you enjoyed. It's Monday night on NBC at 10 p.m.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home