Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?

She needs to take me away on a vacation. Lately I’ve had this urge to get away. Some place exotic. I know, I live in Miami but I need to get AWAY. I have a cruise planned for next month and a NYC trip planned for November. I want to be swept away to another country with vivid smells, colors and culture.

I want to be in my full glory like Meryl Streep in Out of Africa minus the syphilis. I guess that’s why I’ve always loved movies and books. They transport you to another place. Pure escapism. Over the years, I’ve had numerous theater experiences taunt me into making that fantasy a reality. As I get older, the list gets longer.

Below are the movies that peaked my interest on certain foreign and not so foreign locales:

Out of Africa (1985) – Kenya
I’ve always wanted to go back to Mother Africa. This movie made it look even more beautiful and calm than my dreams. In reality, I’ll probably get bitten by a malaria-soaked mosquito or become a light snack for a cheetah. Despite that probability, Africa is high on my list.

The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert (1994) – Australia
I want to visit this country as much for the people as the landscape. Australian movies always portray their denizens as quirky as Tennessee Williams defines Southerners. I love that. I want to visit the rugged countryside as well as the Opera House. Priscilla made me want to strap on my stilettos, grab my boa and catch the nightlife. Fabulous!

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) – Naples
This movie captured my heart with the colorful Italian locations and posh clothing. Gywneth Paltrow and Jude Law are breathtaking in this period piece. I couldn’t take my eyes off the cobble-stoned streets and deep blue waters. When I wasn’t petrified by Matt Damon, I was enthralled with the surroundings.

Sideways (2004) – California
I’m not even into wine but this movie made me want to uncork a bottle. Anything but merlot. The California wine country comes alive in this film. The combination of gourmet foods and stellar wine was the perfect recipe. I need to venture west.

How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998) – Jamaica
The movie was crap. Read the book. But the scenery is breathtaking. The colors jump off the screen. I honeymooned in Ocho Rios but I want to go back. The island is calling me. I want to visit Negril next time to watch the sun set while I sip rum punch.

Stealing Beauty (1996) – Tuscany
This was my first real glimpse into Tuscany. The movie was slow but great. I was mesmerized by the sprawling countryside and the handsome men. Yummy. Everything seems so passionate. The food. The wine. The language. The people.

Sex and the City (1998-2004) – Manhattan
This is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I’ve been to the Big Apple numerous times. I used to go every summer as a teenager. It was my mother’s way of escaping the boring Ohio summer to shop, dine and catch Broadway plays. However, I want to visit Carrie’s NYC and have brunch with the girls while rubbing my sore feet. It’s hard strutting down the street in those Manolos.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Venice (and Helen Bonham Carter) never looked lovelier than in "The Wings of the Dove."

BTW, I've never forgiven Oscar for snubbing her that year in favor of that other Helen (Hunt) for her overrated performance in "As Good As It Gets."

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally. Helen Hunt in AGAIG was TOTALLY overrated. Blah.

2:33 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

EVERYTHING about "As Good As It Gets" was overrated, with the possible exception of Skeet Ulrich's adorableness.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

If ever a movie didn't live up to its title, "As Good As It Gets" was it.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home