Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Ode to the white boys

Before I start this blog, I need say I adore my black and Latino brothers. Golden skin and ethnic features will always be my preference. Specifically my husband J but it has come to my attention lately that my Caucasian brothers have grown by leaps and bounds when it comes to that cool factor.

I’ve always danced an intricate tango with white boys. One of my earliest celeb crushes was Rob Lowe but I also fell for Menudo. I went to a predominantly white high school so I had plenty to choose from but none held my interest. Not enough flava. I was the black chick in the popular group who got plenty of stares but no real advances. I was the Tootie of my high school. Believe it or not, my dad had co-workers who insisted I looked like Kim Fields. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but c’mon.

It wasn’t until I moved to Florida after college that I gave my fairer brothers a glance. Turns out, ebony goddesses are a hot commodity in South Florida. I’d actually have men with their baby’s in the back seat try to pull my eye as I sped down I-95. Who would have known? But it didn’t really matter because once I met my Puerto Rican it was over.

However, I’ve seen a powerful switch on the white boy’s image. I attribute it to the fascination to hip hop culture and globalization. It’s cool and trendy to engulf yourself in foreign cultures and mindsets. With that said, I’d like to give a shout out to the white boys who are workin’ it.

Brad Pitt
How can he not go on this list? Right when you think he can’t be sexier, he hooks up with the planet’s gutsiest chick and adopts a rainbow tribute. I totally dig the fact that he’s raising a black daughter.

Justin Timberlake
He’s doing more than bringing sexy back. He’s ushered in a new era. He’s that delicate balance of someone who is influenced by black and international culture but able to work it into his personality.

Jude Law
Okay, the nanny situation was just plain stupid but this guy is smokin’. Maybe it’s the accent or that wicked glint in his eye. The boy can act too. It almost seems unfair.

Matthew McConaughey
He’s what I call a smooth talker. My mom told me two things when I left for college. Don’t leave your drink and beware of men who talk holes in your clothes. He also seems quite sincere. He’s the guy that makes you feel like a million bucks.

Jake Gyllenhaal
He’s growing on me. Oddly, enough it was Brokeback Mountain that brought on my admiration. He reminds me of that quiet boy who sat in the back of your high school English class. You knew one day he’d blossom.

George Clooney
A classic. Older. Wiser. Funny. Intense. Smart. Goofy. Unattainable. Unforgettable.

It makes me want to sing. White boys are pretty. Skin as smooth as milk. Name that musical.

5 Comments:

Blogger PJS said...

I sort of want to rename my blog link to you "The Tootie of her High School", but I'll refrain.

Brad Pitt - If that's what 42 looks like, sign me up.

Justin Timberlake - cute, but his affected manner of speech is preposterous to me, and I'm frankly surprised more people aren't offended by it.

Jude Law - Too skinny.

Matthew McConaughey - I hate him because my boyfriend loves him.

Jake Gyllenhaal - A little slice of Heaven, right here on earth.

George Clooney - eh.

Sadly, I must admit that I only identified the musical after googling the lyrics, so I'll leave it unnamed in case someone else wants to guess at it unaided by technology.

9:31 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

If you were Tootie,PCD,then I was Natalie(an Irish lapsed Catholic version)who wanted to be Jo but didn't have the nerve.

I agree on Brad Pitt and Jude Law but prefer Heath Ledger to Jake Gyllenhaal. Non white guys that I find gorgeous include Antonio Banderas,Prince(he sings the sexiest damn songs on the planet,next to David Bowie) and Nelson Lee(he plays Shen on Blade the Series).

10:52 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

PJS, I stumped you, huh? I'm not usually into thin men either but Jude and Adrien Brody are the exception to the rule. Adrien is my unconvential hottie. My husband hates that I'm gaga for Brad.

Lady T, Prince is the sexiest thing in high heel purple boots. They don't write slow jams like that anymore.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add Mark Wahlberg to the list of white boys workin' it. Also belongs on the last of celebritites-for-celebrity's-sake who turned out to be surprisingly talented artists. Gimme more Mark Wahlberg.

p.s. Loved the reference to "Hair"

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add Mark Wahlberg to the list of white boys workin' it. Also belongs on the last of celebritites-for-celebrity's-sake who turned out to be surprisingly talented artists. Gimme more Mark Wahlberg.

p.s. Loved the reference to "Hair"

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home