Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, September 29, 2006

The Void

I was jolted awake yesterday morning with an odd sense of anxiety. Not the ‘I have a lot to do today and not enough hours in the day to do itor I have to tell my boyfriend it’s over’ feeling. I literally popped upright in bed and gasped. Very daytime drama like. I’ve had this feeling before but it’s usually attached to my fear of death and wondering what I’ll be doing for all of eternity. This was different.

I immediately thought I forgot to do something. Did I leave the water running or forget to put the leftovers in the fridge? Feed the cat? Something was missing. I’ll admit I’ve had brushes with this feeling for the last year but it was always an ‘oh no” second. You know the type. “Oh no, I forgot to pick my mother up from the airport” or “Oh no, I forgot to call back that Channel 10 reporter.”

As the day went on, I started to recognize the feeling. Loss. I missed someone. Then last night after a grueling night of TV cramming, the pieces came together. (Synposis: Grey’s Anatomy-Smart, well-written, emotional and enjoyable. Ugly Betty- Birth of a superstar. You root and relate to this metal-mouthed Latina. It’s about time. Hooray! Watch Real Women Have Curves. Mandatory viewing. My Name is Earl- Bizarre characters that make you laugh. The Office-Funny. Dry. Funny. )

I miss Carrie. I wonder if she was able to make it with Big. Did Miranda get used to being a bridge-and-tunnel gal? How is Charlotte enjoying her new baby? Are Samantha and Smith still together? I miss Sex and the City. I miss my weekly fantasy that transported me to NYC hot spots and the lives of these amazing women.

I’m glad the show left before it got stale like Friends or Cheers. The last episodes tied up the loose ends nicely. It came full circle. I still miss the show. How can you not admire a show that brought you so many memorable moments? Samantha dying her public hair bright red and then showing Carrie in the bathroom while she’s eating food. Carries’s hearbreak at meeting Big’s Natasha. Stanford dating a man that collects dolls. Carrie as fashion roadkill during the big fashion show. Me likey. I could go on forever.

The greatness of the show was the location, writing and trendy touches. Everyone could relation to at least one of these women. I always felt like I was a combination of them all. Quirky and unsure like Carrie. Traditional and innocent like Charlotte. No nonsense and practical like Miranda. Sensual and fun like Samantha. But I have to admit I was more Miranda than anyone especially when she softened at the end.

Don’t cry for me. I have Sex and the City Seasons 1-4 on DVD and I watch it religiously in syndication. I’ll overcome this tragic loss.

Which Sex and the City lady are you? Tell me your favorite moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I never was a Sex & the City fan but know all about voids;still feel a tad amiss on Tuesdays,now that Buffy is gone for good(after seven years,it was time).

I just took a "Which S&TC girl are you" quiz and my result was Miranda.

12:13 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

I was a SATC late bloomer, but I caught up by immersion: I watched the entire first season in one sitting one humid Manhattan weekend.

I know for a fact that I'm Miranda, but after a few stiff drinks I turn invariably into Samantha.

Oh, wait, I'm a guy.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home