Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, December 18, 2006

How the hell should I know?

I had a pleasant weekend in which I never left my house. Okay, Saturday the weather was nice enough for me to take a walk but besides that I was relaxing on my couch and bed – alternately. Sunday turned out to be my Lifetime and Hallmark day. They were showing an embarrassing barrage of Christmas movies.

You know the type where there is a widow or widower with a cute precocious kid who experiences a Christmas miracle by Santa or a mysterious stranger. I love these crappy sappy movies. They allow you to enjoy the simple sugary plot and smile. I adore Fox Family Channel’s 25 days of Christmas. It doesn’t get better than that.

During a break from one of these yuletide treasures, I saw a preview of the dumbest reality/game shows possible and you know how I felt about this past season of Survivor. Gay, Straight or Taken? Follows different women who think they are going on three dates with potential partners, only to find out that one is gay, one is straight and the other is taken. If the lucky gal picks the straight guy, she wins a romantic getaway with him. If she loses, he gets the vacation.

The stroke of marketing genius behind this shows claims that “you and your friends play it at parties?” Do we? I’m not single but this smells of an episode of Friends or Sex and the City. The creators mean that THEY play this game. They’re also probably fed up with the dating scene. This is sadistic.

Sadly, this game must be close to impossible to play. The lines between these groups are hopelessly blurred. I worry about the type of deceptive man that would sign up for this reality show. I’m scared of the man who gets his kicks off pretending to be gay or straight. What kind of sick mindtrip is that? Despite my shock and disdain, I feel compelled to watch an episode. Don’t judge me. I’m just wondering if it’s as truly bad as it sounds.

Will you watch it?

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I've heard about this show,too and might watch it once,just to see what all the fuss is about. After all,if I can sit thru Mtv's Next and Room Raiders(which inspire such hope for the state of romance amongst the youth of today...not!),I can manage this without getting sick.

I'm also going to give F/X's new series Dirt a chance,even tho I'm sick to death of the promos(they're running that Peter Gabriel song into the ground,I swear!). Hey,PCD,are you going to watch Identity? It looks so awful that I bet it's worth a night or two of viewing.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I'm not sure about Identity. These new game shows leave me cold. I'm an old school gal. The Price is Right, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune before they gave you the cash. I liked it when you had to shop in the room. I miss that.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Yes, yes it is as bad as it sounds.

Oh, and I ran into Identity last night before I passed out with exhaustion. It was nothing awful, just can't see how this concept is compelling or how it can last more than 3 episodes.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home