Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reading isn't the only things that's fundamental

I was surfing the Internet when I came across this cool article about the effect of television on baby boomers. It shaped a generation while presenting relevant topics. Some of these programs were well-received from the start (Davy Crockett) but others had rocky starts (thirtysomething).

The article made me think of my long love affair with television. I like to joke that I cut my teeth on the Carol Burnett show and graduated to Desperate Housewives. I was a soap opera aficiando at the age of 12. I count Ryan’s Hope and Search for Tomorrow as my early favorites. I dabbled in Days of Our Lives and General Hospital but my specialty was CBS. I spent many summers watching Young and the Restless, Capitol, the Bold and the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light with my mother.

I’ve always been a TV/movie junkie. I’m on the cusp of Generation X, a generation defined by MTV, angst and Adam Sandler movies. I grew up watching re-runs of classic television like The Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver and Laverne and Shirley. While these shows were entertaining and formed a solid base of knowledge for me, there are also shows that helped refine my perspective of television as a medium for topical issues and different lifestyles.

Here are sampling of defining television programs from the last two decades:

The Cosby Show
Boy could I relate to these people. Not because the parents were a doctor and a lawyer but because the family was black and educated. They weren’t in the hood and spoke in double negatives. The Cosby family was a rainbow like mine, all shades of skin and hair textures. Blacks are more diverse than any media or TV program has dared to portray. The Cosby Show reflected the way my family lived and I was grateful for the show.

Murphy Brown
Murphy was a force of nature. She was smart, independent and funny. I loved her maverick attitude. I think a lot of women found strength and acceptance in this character. She embodied a more modern American women that translated to all races.

A Different World
This show was out when I was in college and learning more about my culture. It portrayed a traditionally black college, which had always seemed like this fun fantasy. I thought about going to a black college but couldn’t find one that had my major. This was an uplifting entertaining show for young blacks. I know it inspired me.

Sex and the City
Bold. Racy. Intelligent. Funny. I grew to love these women. They became my girlfriends. I miss them to this day but feel I’m a stronger more open person because of the show.

What TV shows shaped your life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home