Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

I'd like you to meet my new friend

USA Today ran a funny article today regarding the new trend in Hollywood where random celebrities get together to take advantage of their star status. The media has harkened back to high school and declared these winning collabos Best Friends Forever (BFFs). They mention the new dizzy trio of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan. Hasn’t Brit learned anything from Survivor? It’s all about the alliance. While entering a custody battle, who would hook up with Paris?

This new BFF era has left me at a loss. I just try to imagine what Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham could be talking about. Gucci handbags? Scientology? Tom’s big teeth? I just can’t wrap my mind around it? I think it’s amusing and very telling to see who celebrities take as their good friends.

For some, it reads as a marketing move or public relations stunt while for others it seems to be a more genuine friendship. I mean, I can see Matthew McConaughey and Lance Armstrong having something in common. Exercise, sweat, woman. So, I ask you if you could have a celebrity BFF, who would you select and why? Here are my picks:

Oprah Winfrey
No surprises here. I’ve always wanted to channel the brilliance, intellect and drive of Miss O. Remember I don’t want to be her as much as I want to be Oprah-esque. This relationship probably doesn’t stand a chance until her BFF Gail steps aside or has a tragic accident that doesn’t kill her but makes her unable to fill her obligations as O’s best friend. Did I say that out loud?

Jada Pinkett
This sista’ is down for the cause. She seems to enjoy the Hollywood life and fashions without taking herself too seriously. She must be fun to hang out with. I bet she runs a tight ship with Will and children as well. I could take notes.

Matthew McConaughey
That’s right I picked a man. I could maintain a platonic relationship with him and maybe lose a few pounds in the process. He seems like that positive force who always makes you feel better about yourself and give you the male point of view. Plus he and his friends would be fun to look at.

Who would be your celebrity BFF?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

I'd like to be friends with Maggie Gyllenhall. I think we'd get along very well.

And Ewan McGregor. He seems like such a cool, down-to-earth person. Of course, he's on my top 5, so I would most likely have to sleep with him, but I'm o.k. with that.

Also - and I can't believe I actually feel this way and am admitting it - I'd hang with Angelina. Mostly because she seems way more grounded and less full of bull shit than she used to be, and she seems like someone who would help me trun my desire to contribute to this world into action.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home