Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Postcards from the edge

Greetings from the Buckeye state! I've taken my circus on the road to visit my family for a few days before we (my mom, sister and her stepdaughter) go to NYC for a long weekend. It kicked off with a bizarre encounter at the Miami airport. As I waited at the gate, the gentleman seated two chairs away proceeded to take off his dress socks (he was wearing a business suit and reading the paper) and rub his feeet. Not a gentle rub like his feet ached but a picking rub like he was ripping dry skin and lent off his feet. He did this for about 20 minutes. I knew then that this was going to be a fantastic voyage.

When I finally made it to my assigned seat, I was pleased to see they had put me in an emergency exit row. The upside is that I had extra room for my legs; the downside was if we crashed it was up to me to assist in getting these people off the plane. I agreed to the conditions but realized if shit broke out I would be the first off the plane without looking back. Don't judge me, I'm just keeping it real. I was soon greeted by my row mate, a confused man who seriously asked me what day it was. I wasn't sure what his situation was but heard him explain to the neighboring flight attendents (there was a gaggle of them heading to D.C.) that he had just gotten back from two weeks in Bolivia. I immediately went into panic mode and imagined him spreading an exotic disease to me or the entire plane. Look, I watch a lot of House and I saw what that little monkey did in Outbreak.

I was able to finish the Dave Navarro memoir Don't Try This at Home. It was a stone trip. This graphic book chronicled a year in his life but not just any year. It followed him down a drug and prostitute filled year where he turned his house into a "Factory" much like Andy Warhol. He took photographs of everyone that came into his house during this period. I had no idea how depraved and desperate he had become. While it didn't change my life, it was an honest unflinching look into the life of a junkie with money. I have much respect for him realizing where he's come from. However, the last pages that talk about his relationship were slightly sad since they have split. It's worth a read. Added bonus, is you get the scoop on why and how he left the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm officially in the midwest and its evident in my childhood home by the aroma of Jergen's lotion and sting of Ivory soap in my eyes. I'd forgotten how powerful that soap can be. My sister made a hearty meal of beef roast, cabbage, baked macaroni and cheese and apple crisp. It was delicious and I ate too much. I just watched Disney's Doodle Bops with my 2-year-old niece and put some time in on my dad's treadmill while listening to the local classic rock radio station playing ELO, Cheap Trick and Yes. Boy, it's great to be home.

I did see Desperate Housewives last night and am filled with a sense of hope that this once stellar program can regain its luster. Last week's outing in the supermarket was outstanding. Laurie Metcalfe's unhinged wife was perfection. Makes you remember how funny she was on Roseanne. Felicity Huffman once again raised the calibar of acting on the show. She deserves that Emmy. I look forward to seeing what Dixie Carter will bring to Wisteria Lane besides that ratty wig. Maybe Bree will finally wise up. She seems content in accepting Orson's continuous lies and explanations.

I'll keep you posted on my travels and hope to catch a movie or two while I'm here. Meanwhile, tell some of your memories of your hometown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home