Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Are you gonna wear that?

Boy it’s great to be on dry land. My recent cruise brought to light an issue that is dear to my heart. I’ve always considered myself a fashionista even before the term was coined. I haven’t always had the money for clothing but always had a passion for it. I’ve even had a co-worker call me a clothes whore. She was playing on the words clothes horse. Or at least that’s what I think she meant. Come to think of it; she may have been calling me out.

Anyway, the cruise line is very specific about dining attire. Casual clothes like summer dresses and button down shirts for men. Nowhere in the cruise info did it say ratty peg-legged jeans and Bahama Momma/Daddy T-shirt. I’m not talking cool casual Friday togs but BBQ by the double wide fashion.

I know I’m about to sound like an old fart here but what happened to the days when people dressed for dinner. I’m not saying black tie but a pressed pair of pants and shirt for gentlemen and nice slacks or dress for women. . I was so excited at the chance to shave my legs and go out that I dressed up every evening. When did this all go wrong? I should have known something was amiss when I saw a girl wearing jeans to a Broadway show. Broadway. Not community theater.

With age, I’m slowly realizing I’m liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Gays should be able to adopt and marry. Women should be able to choose whether to birth a baby or not. ALL people should dress appropriately for formal dining and the theater.

I blame pop culture for making us believe that denim can replace satin and linen. Just because Mariah Carey pays $1,000 for a pair of jeans doesn’t make it eveningwear. She’s a celebrity. If you haven’t noticed, celebrities live a more dramatic public life that leads to wearing sunglasses at night and Gap T-shirts with your Vera Wang skirt. That’s a glamorous façade that doesn’t hold up in the real world. The minute our public figures and movie stars started wearing casual fashions, we soon followed.

With that said, below are a few items you MUST have:

A timeless suit

I don’t care if it’s from the Jaclyn Smith Collection, a smart suit is mandatory. Suits can be found every where from thrift shops to high-end department stores. It doesn’t matter if you only dust it off when Uncle Lenny passes. Everyone should own a suit. They come in handy for job interviews, weddings, baptisms and other occasions.

Dress shoes

Women generally don’t have a problem with this but men do. Let me tell you something fellas, it’s a turn off to date a man that doesn’t have hard soled shoes. A closet full of sneakers makes you look like a man/boy and that ain’t good. You don’t have to wear them everyday but they should have them in your closet.

Sweater or wrap

Ladies when you finally go out for that special evening, don’t cover that lovely ensemble with your distressed jean jacket or retro burgundy Member’s Only jacket. Invest in a cute little sweater or pashmina-like wrap. There are tons of look-a-likes out there. While you’re shopping, look into a small evening bag in a neutral color.

What else should people have?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

I'm with you - dressing up is so underrated these days. That, and thanks to the emergence of hoochie wear, people think a glittery crop top with everything hanging out constitues as "formal" wear.

Women need a little black dress that can be worn day or night. Men need at least one good pair of dress pants, button-down shirt and tie in a classic style (i.e., no 80's colors, no bolo ties - nothing dated!)

Also, men, when the Diva says dress shoes, pay attention to that phrase: hard soles. No lug soles, o.k.? Just because it's black doesn't mean it's dress, you hear me? Doc Martens are wonderful shoes, but they are NOT dress shoes! Neither are Sketchers or Timberlands!

9:55 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

I remember years ago,going to a baby shower with my mom and two of my cousins were there. One was dressed up for the occasion(as was I)and the other wore a see-thru top and ripped up jeans. When the three of us went to the ladies' room,my trashy attired cousin wanted to know why we were all dressed up!

I'm not a big dress person but do have decent clothing for most functions. Trash wear is getting way too common place,I agree. One time,I saw a woman wearing a long demin skirt that was slashed into slits so revealing that the elastic band on her underwear was curled up on the outside of the skirt! You could've reached over and snapped it. Plus,she was in the corner store in the middle of the day like this!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Thank you ladies. I feel a sisterhood.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home