Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, October 23, 2006

I finally made up with Claire

I watched Shopgirl (2005) again this weekend. I had gotten it through Netflix months ago. I remember thinking it was better than I expected it to be which is always a pleasant surprise. Part of my problem going into the movie was Claire Danes. I’ve always run lukewarm wit her. Even back in the days of My So Called Life, she slightly annoyed me. I never quite got her appeal.

As years went on, she separated herself from the usual pack of pretty but marginally talented actresses in her generation. She proved herself to be intelligent and thoughtful in her role selection. That’s why I was disappointed to see her audition for the role of The Other Woman. I’m speaking of her badly timed relationship with fine ass Billy Crudup. Usually I don’t care about the personal lives of actors enough to let it effect my movie watching but I thought this was particulary shitty since Crudup’s girlfriend of many years Mary Louise Parker was heavily pregnant with his baby.

Even if the relationship was on the rocks, they were still expecting a baby. Even if she was the bitch of a lifetime, she was pregnant with his baby. Even if Claire is the love of his life, he still owed Parker enough respect to be more discreet with his new love. Walking a few steps behind your paramour doesn’t make it a well-kept secret. The problem with these romances and similar situations is that the public is fickle. We like our celebrities to be adventurous and daring but we turn into puritans when we feel they’ve cross the line. Unfortunately, you can never know where that line will be drawn.

I have to admit none of these players rated on my radar except for Crudup who was a revelation in Almost Famous. I adored his talent and boyish good looks. Putting all of this aside, I did watch Stage Beauty, which was the film that lit the flame and they do have amazing chemistry.

Back to Shopgirl, I found it a delightful little movie. Based on a Steve Martin novella (that’s right The Jerk is a writer), it tells the story of Mirabelle Buttersfield, a Vermont transplant living in Los Angeles who must decide between the suave well-traveled and much older Ray (Steve Martin) and the work-in-progress Jeremy (Jason Schwartzman). It is elegantly shot and moves at a leisurely pace. Schwartzman as always is quirky and lovable as the underdog who must raise his game. I was amazed but Martin brought some to heat to his sex scenes. Danes was great as the heroine who must make life-altering decisions and grow up. It’s worth a watch and when you do, tell me what you think.

Was there an actor whose off-screen antics turned you off their on-screen persona? Feel free to insert Tom Cruise here. I feel it coming.

7 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

Since Woody Allen is both an actor and a director,I think my issues with him dumping Mia for Soon-Yi qualify here. It's one thing to break up a relationship,another to do it by cheating on your partner with someone younger and a whole other mess of worms to cheat on her with one of her adopted kids!

I haven't paid to see a WA movie for years now(and from what I hear and read about,I'm not missing much). I did see Bullets Over Broadway on cable and it is a good movie,especially since Allen's not in it.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I can't think of an actor I have felt this way about, but I kind of stopped liking Al Leiter, even though he was a pitcher on my favorite baseball team (the Mets) when I found out he was a staunch Republican. Does that count?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

It does Red Fraggle.

Lady T, you have to see Match Point. I feel you on the Woody deal but see this movie.

8:25 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

As a staunch Republican, I've been tempted to be turned off to the onscreen performances of such wacked-out lefties like Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, but they are fine actors who nearly always give pitch-perfect performances.

Likewise, Julia Roberts' and Barbra Stresiand's politcs make my blood boil, but I judge their work on its merit.

But that's all politics, which I guess isn't your point...

Personal misbehavior? I never liked Angelina Jolie that much anyway, so hearing she was the Other Woman in Brad/Jen's breakdown just added fuel to the fire.

I'm horrified at the Woody/Soon-Yi situation, but I worship faithfully at the Allen altar and love almost every move he's done, including the recent supposedly "bad" ones.

Ooh- I have one: I cannot enjoy Russel Crowe onscreen. I believe he is a genuinely bad, mean, violent person.

8:40 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

p.s.- I wanted to love "Shopgirl", as I'm secretly in love with Jason Scwhartzmann, but I couldn't even finish it.

Though beautifully shot, for me it read like a de Beers diamond commercial - all slick shots and sentiment, and I thought the dialogue was very 'writery'.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

I'm with you, lady t, on Woody. I was a huge fan, counting Annie Hall and Hannah & Her Sisters among my all-time favorite flicks. I saw him as uncommonly wise about human nature and even a bit of a moral authority on how to live a life of integrity and authenticity, since that seemed to be a common theme in many of his films. But once his disgusting, amoral behavior and life philosophy came to light, I could no longer view him or his movies in the same way as before. I felt duped and betrayed, and I've seen few of his movies since. :-(

8:08 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Claire and I probably won't ever be friends again. I can't forgive the affair - you forgot to mention that she and Mary Louise were friends. Makes the whole deal even sicker!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home