Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Santa got the shaft

I was amused yesterday when I saw an article in USA Today regarding the new book The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived (Harper, $13.95, paperback original) by Allan Lazar, Dan Karlan and Jeremy Salter. The list is insightful and will definitely become the talk of offices across the country. It highlights the influence fictional characters have on pop culture. There are some baffling choices on this list but I realize not every one is as intelligent as I am. Just kidding! Well, sort of.

Some of these figures are mythical. Some are tied to monumental periods in history and important literary characters. I realize that some of these selected people may also speak to a specific generation mostly older but it’s fun to look at. I was shocked to see that Mickey Mouse wasn’t in the top 10. Mickey got stiffed. Even if you hate branding powerhouse Disney, you have to admit that Mickey meant a lot to us as children. Our big-eared friend still brings smiles to our parent’s faces, our faces, our children’s faces and more to come.

Other people who should have been ranked higher were Prince Charming (#20) who shapes girl’s first impressions of romantic love and men. Cinderella (#26) and Barbie (#46) who influence little boys and girls ideals on beauty. Uncle Sam (#61) is the face of a nation. Superman (#64) is the man of steel. Little boys and girls look up to him as a hero. Need I say more.

Here’s my take on the Top 5:

1. The Marlboro Man

I’m not sure how the personification of cigarette smoke and cancer was ranked number one but I think it speaks volumes on good well-placed marketing. Back in the day, The Marlboro Man taught a generation that it is cool to smoke. Men felt their chests puff out (not from the stifling effects of the smoke) but from the machismo and mystique of the cowboy.

2. Big Brother

We’ve always known that The Man was out to get us but George Orwell’s 1984 confirmed this fact. I have to admit something. I’ve never read the book but I can clearly see its influence on society. Hey, don’t judge me. I’m adding it to my reading list. Anyway, I’d like to say more but you-know-who may be listening in.

3. King Arthur

I don’t have anything to say on this. Maybe you can explain it to me.

4. Santa Claus (St. Nick)

Santa should have been number one. No other person has influenced all of us from birth. He’s known in every country and adored by children that don’t even celebrate Christmas. Who else transcends these lines? He’s a universal symbol of good will and honesty. SPOILER AHEAD: The realization that he is a fictional character ranks up there with one of the most devastating moments in a child’s life. Who else can claim that?

5. Hamlet

Ah, William Shakespeare. It’s nice to see two of his classic pieces of literature in the top 10. It shows how influential the Bard is. Themes and phrases from this work infiltrate our everyday life without us even realizing it. Romeo and Juliet was my favorite. Death, love, murder and suicide. How romantic.

Click here for the rest of the list.

What’s your take on the list? Who should have been ranked higher or is missing from the list?

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I totally agree with you that Mickey Mouse should've been in the Top Ten-people all over the world know who he is! The Marlboro Man does have a place on the list but Joe Camel has clearly outshined him in the past decade.(not a smoker,btw,but both of my parents were and are).

Santa not being higher up on the list is crazy. Here's my Top Ten list:

1) Santa Claus
2)Mickey Mouse
3)Superman
4)Batman
5)Barbie
6)Dracula
7)Frankenstein
8)Harry Potter
9)Bugs Bunny
10)Snoopy

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

I loved "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," but why in the world would Mary Richards make the list and not Lucy Ricardo? I know Mary R. is regarded as a feminist role model for her time, but the same could be said for Lucy R. Without Lucy (the character, actress and Hollywood mogul), there might never have been a Mary (the character, actress and Hollywood mogul).

Besides, Lucy is truly an iconic figure in our culture in a way that Mary (or any other TV character, for that matter) is not.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

WTF - King Arthur???

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home