Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm not a prairie kind of gal

This past weekend was full of movies, some good and some not so good. I went over the good yesterday. Today is the not so good. I have to preface this review by saying that I have never listened to A Prairie Home Companion on National Public Radio. I understand that it has been around for over 30 years and it harkens back to the days of old time radio shows. I admire that and commend Garrison Keillor for keeping this great American art form alive. I’m a great believer in preservation whether it be music, movies or buildings.

A Prairie Home Companion (2006) was directed by the emperor of ensembles Robert Altman. As always, it was ambitious in its scope. The film documents the last day of the historic radio show. Cast and crew come to terms with passages - endings and beginnings. The acting was superb. The interaction was seamless. Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep were hilarious as singing sisters Rhonda and Yolanda. Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly were outstanding as the playful singing cowboys Dusty and Lefty. Lindsey Lohan held her own with all of these acting legends. Kevin Kline showed impeccable comedic timing as Guy Noir. The name says it all.

I just couldn’t muster up any feeling for the show. I was receptive to the importance of these types of shows and what it means for them to perish but I simply didn’t care. If you can’t get someone to care about the subject matter or characters, the movie is essentially a bust. Maybe it was because I wasn’t familiar with the original or too young to remember radio shows. I don’t know but this went over my head. Or was it under my feet, I don’t know but it wasn’t the first time this has happened.

I’m often dazzled by acting, directing and style but a lack of connection to subject matter leaves me wanting more. Below are a few movies that were well-crafted and exemplary in many ways but had something missing in my eyes:

Gladiator (2000)

It was beautifully shot and captivating in performances especially Joaquin Phoenix. He was darkly masterful in his evil. I’m sure for some it worked as a romantic movie but I wasn’t overwhelmed with any real emotion.

The Star Wars Trilogy

I know I could be flogged in certain circles for putting this on my list but we all know that science fiction is not my genre. It probably didn’t help that I saw them for the first time about eight years ago. Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983) were pioneering when they first came out but in 1998 they seemed campy. Hey, don’t judge me. This is just one diva’s opinion.

Braveheart (1995)

Do you see a theme here? I guess these male-identified movies aren’t my cup of tea. Mel made a classic movie that will bring history and joy to many generations to come but I don’t think I’ll watch this movie again. Once all the way through was enough.

Scarface (1983)

The first scenes of this movie are unforgettable. Thousands of Cubans sailing to America. As someone who now lives in Miami, I can only imagine what it was like when the exodus of Cubans happened in the 80s. It was a critical movement that changed the make up and culture of the city forever. I wish more of that would have been examined rather than the sensational crime wave that followed. Scarface is an important American movie that is a must-see but the violence and tabloid nature diminish the film’s message.

Titanic (1997)

I know this is supposed to be The Great movie but c’mon. This is the perfect example of great sets, direction, script, music and special effects. My biggest problem with this movie was the casting. Kate Winslet was too big for scrawny Leonardo DiCaprio. He looked too young for her. While she did the best she could with the part, she was hideously miscast. I couldn’t help but think if she had moved her big ass over a bit he could have survived. Call me a romantic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I hadn't seen any remark on the girth of Kate's ass before, but it definitely brightened an otherwise dreary work day .. thanks for that!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

I have to disagree on Braveheart. I'm neither male nor Scottish nor under any threats by Brits, but wow! I was totally emotional over that movie. Loss of love, loss of freedom, loss of homeland -- and fighting to right those wrongs -- I was a wreck. Same for Gladiator. I think I identify with the lone person wanting it all to be all right theme or something.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

Oh, and Scarface - wasn't that like a parody? It's so over the top and ridiculous that I can only laugh just thinking about it.

And Al Pacino as a Cuban? PLEASE. That accent was an insult to Cubans everywhere! That was bad PR on his part for us.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home