Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You know who would have been great in that?

Yesterday I alluded to the idea that Kate Winslet was miscast in Titanic. Okay, I didn’t allude; I announced it. That declaration made me think about the Hollywood casting system. There’s been many times when I’ve watched a movie and felt that something wasn’t quite right but I can’t always put my finger on it.

Movies work for me on five levels – performances, subject matter, writing, directing & style or over-all production value. I can still enjoy a movie even if it doesn’t fit all of those criteria. Therefore, casting can make a big difference in how a movie is perceived. I know there can be a lot of pressure to sign a name in order to get a movie green lighted. But we also know a name doesn’t always make a movie.

Casting is an integral part of a movie and can play with whether the audience relates to a character and thus sell the writing and plot. Case in point, Kris Kristofferson has been getting a lot of work lately. I don’t begrudge him employment but he played a doctor in The Jacket (2005) and I wasn’t buyin’ it. He also played a ballroom dance studio owner in Dance with Me (1998). Are you kidding? When I think of him, I think of the rugged trucker in Convoy (1978) and the curly haired rocker with a taste for destruction in A Star is Born (1976). I don’t like to put people in boxes but sometimes they’re a custom fit.

Here are a few more cases of brain farts on the casting couch:

Kate Winslet – Titanic (1997)

Once again, she seemed too mature for the part or at least too old to play against Leonardo DiCaprio’s baby face. I didn’t believe that she was a spoiled debutante. Natalie Portman would have been a better choice.

Sandra Bullock – The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood (2002)

I like Sandy but her tomboy quality makes her a tough fit at times. I don’t know who could have mastered the role but they would have had to be more delicate and emotional. Ashley Judd was divine (no pun intended) in flashbacks as her boozy unstable mother.

Tobey Maguire – Spiderman series

Before you give me shit for this, let me say that I love the Spiderman movies. They are amazing but Tobey isn’t the reason they are amazing. You could probably put a chimp in the suit and it would still be great. These types of movies almost work on autopilot. It’s just that Tobey is so wooden. It’s not that he needs to show great dramatic range but he does need to show some emotion. Mr. Roboto needs to oil his hinges.

Jennifer Aniston – Along Came Polly (2004)

This would be complete without my Jennifer dig. I don’t know what is wrong with me but my hateration seems to be strong. Pray for me. I didn’t believe for a moment that she was this quirky bohemian free spirit. Just because her hair wasn’t blown out doesn’t make her funky. You need more than a chunky scarf and drugstore beads to pull this off. Jenna Elfman would have been a great choice. Plus she had great chemistry with Ben Stiller in Keeping the Faith (2000). Put that on your Netflix.

Katie Holmes – Tom Cruise’s Latest Fixation (2005)

WTF. Who saw this coming? They fell in love, got engaged and had a baby in a little over a year. They’re getting married next month. Mazel tov. Save Katie! There’s still time.

Who do you think has been miscast?

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

The remake of Psycho was awful for many reasons but a key one was having Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. Vince was too obviously creepy;Anthony Perkins conveyed more sympathy and subtley in the original.

Hayden Christenson as Anakin Skywalker is a major miscast;Mark Hamil could act circles around that empty-headed hunk of wood!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home