Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Use your big words

It was the bikini seen around the world. Courageous Kirstie Alley donned a skimpy bathing suit to make good on a bet she made with Oprah that she would sport a bikini when she lost weight. The slimmed down Cheers beauty sashayed on stage and dropped her sarong to unveil a curvy silhouette and sassy attitude. Appropriately, the song Brickhouse was playing in the background. She was mighty mighty just lettin’ it all hang out. Let me come clean by saying that I’m not a hug Kirstie Alley fan. I think she’s a funny spunky lady but her Scientology connection turns me off. With that said, I give much love and appreciation to her daring fashion decision.

Though she lost 75 pounds and plans to lose more, she was no Heidi Klum and that was refreshing. Her thighs were thick and her smile was radiant. I love the fact that at 55 she had the balls to wear a bikini on national television. She looked amazing and more like the average American woman. However, I was pissed to hear two male Miami radio personalities the next morning saying that she was still big and would look great after losing another 30 pounds. This coming from two average-looking middle-aged men with 30 extra pounds around their mid-sections. They were calling her various variations of FAT.

The term fat is being used too liberally. Everyone is called fat these days. It has become the new ugly. Instead of using our big words to describe someone, we resort to kindergarten lingo like fat and ugly. Fat has become this snarky term to hurt someone’s feelings especially in Hollywood and face it we take our cues from advertisements and movies. Images that face us everyday. When I think of fat, I think of someone who has to go to a special store to get clothes, needs reinforced furniture or can’t fit in standard seats, showers or beds. And guess what? There’s nothing wrong with that. Some people are fat, some people are thin and some of us fall in between. To me obesity is only a problem if it threatens your health or prevents you from leading the life you want to lead. If you’re cool with that, peace.

I’m tired of hearing how Kate Winslet is fat. This girl doesn’t have a weight issue besides the fact that her industry of work doesn’t value the anatomy of real women. Complex women with diverse genetics and health concerns. Nothing in Hollywood is average. Everything is exaggerated which would explain the latest parade of twig-like bobble heads calling themselves actresses. I’m not hating on thin actresses. I’m down with Gwyneth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman but they are not the majority and in no way represent me, my friends or family members.

For the record, Jessica Alba, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Scarlett Johansson, Salma Hayek and Beyonce are not full-figured gals. Being Latina or black doesn’t necessarily qualify you as robust. Only by Hollywood standards.

I’ve just recently started to embrace my size. I think of myself as voluptuous and curvy. Some people may see me as fat. So be it. I’m a size 12. Did I say that out loud? Yes, like millions of other women in this country I’m not a size 0, 2 or 4. I own my size 12 and no longer omit or mumble my clothing size. The average American woman is a size 12 and weighs 140 pounds.

I encourage everyone to rethink their definition of fat and examine how they use the word. There are probably millions of ways to say someone is large without resorting to the negative word fat. Expand your mind and vocabulary. You can call me big, solid, voluptuous, curvy, sturdy, chunky, chubby, booti-licious, a brickhouse, fluffy love, big-boned, thick, plump, robust, heavy, bodacious, busty and shapely.

Just don’t call me fat.

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I hear ya,PCD. The other night on ANTM,I was getting sick of people calling Anchal fat. Anchal looks like a regular girl(plus,being top heavy is hard on a gal-my mom's had plenty of probelms with that)and shy to begin with. Having catty girls say that she's "blobby" and that make up guy telling her to "suck it in"(he should try holding his gut in wearing a damn spandex suit!)were really annoying to say the least.

I usually watch the show with my sister but she was so turned off by how they treated Anchal that she may not see it anymore.

Also,did you watch that Drew Carey show where they had one of his work enemies as a large lady receptionist who wore Tammie Faye type of make-up? That always bugged me-what office receptionist would go to her place of business in clown make-up?

11:55 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Yea, she was annoying. She was too over the top to be funny.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home