Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I Heart New York City

I managed to make it out of the concrete jungle with amazing buys and some money in my pocket. I ate my way from one end of Manhattan to the other and loved it. The weather was a balmy 60 degrees on the first day and brisk 50s on the remaining days. Times Square was crowded beyond belief. It was like being in Tokyo during rush hour. People, people everywhere and not just any people. Mid-westerners.

Middle America has taken over the Big Apple. Since Giuliani cleaned up NYC, it has become a haven for Stan and Marge from Michigan. I used to frequent the City every summer with my mom and sister. It was empty but still filled with natives. I hadn’t been there since 2001, a month after Sept. 11. I adore the energy and vibe of Manhattan. It’s one city that lives up to its reputations. It never sleeps and is right up there with Vegas.

I had forgotten how much history and pop culture folklore originated in the City. It is small but mighty. I journey through Harlem, SoHo, the Village, Tribeca, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park East and West and my favorite the theater district. I stayed one block off Broadway in mid-town. Everyone MUST do the following in NYC: stroll through Central Park, nosh on a bagel and pizza, visit Macy’s, eat a hot dog or pretzel off the street, see a play, haggle over the price of something in Chinatown, soak up the rays and ambiance in Washington Square park and experience Times Square.

Less than five minutes in the Rockefeller Center area and I ran into Frodo. Elijah Wood was talking to someone behind the NBC Studios. He’s tiny like an elf. Not the Lord of the Rings kind but more like Santa’s. He has brilliant big blue eyes. I didn’t have any other celebrity citings, which was disappointing but I saw to great plays and you know how the Diva loves Broadway. I saw Spamalot and The Color Purple and people were dressed appropriately for the occasion.

They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway.


Spamalot was hilarious. I’m not even into Monty Python but I couldn’t stop laughing. I entertained those sitting around me with my ridiculous laughing and tears streaming down my face. You know when you get that hysterical laugh that’s so long you forgot what made you laugh; you’re simply laughing at yourself laughing. It was silly and mindless but worth the $100-plus ticket. The Lady of the Lake was my favorite. Her diva-like stance and powerful voice was incredible. I kept imagining Sara Ramirez (George’s Callie) of Grey’s Anatomy who originated the role.

The Color Purple was wonderful and inspirational. As I get older, this story means more to me. We headed to the matinee only to be greeted with a line that wrapped around the corner. Those avenue blocks sure are long. We had terrific seats, fourth row center. I’ve never been this close in a play before. I swear a bead of sweat fell off Celie’s head and landed on me. Chilling. The singing was amazing. I left the play with the feeling it was a privilege to see it. I’ve never had that feeling before. My sister was an emotional wreck at the end but it was enjoyed by all. Oprah, who put on her producer hat for this production, must be proud. All hail, O!

The only thing missing from this escapade were my good friends (where are Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha when you need them?) and of course, my Manolos.

What’s your favorite Big Apple memory or experience?

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

Glad to see you had fun in the Big Apple,PCD-I went to Times Square in August for my sister's birthday(she wanted to go to the Sanrio store there,it's s big Hello Kitty mecca)and the place is like Disneyland,I swear!

I've only seen a handful of Broadway shows;Cats(twice),A Chorus Line and Miss Saigon(the only original cast member on that night was Lea Salonga,which was fine by me).

12:29 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I'm a Broadway whore. I've seen A Chorus Line, Dreamgirls, I'm Not Rappaport, Sweet Charity (with Debbie Allen) and Mama Mia to name a few on the Great White Way.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home