Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Postcards from the edge- Part 2 Court TV rocks

More Doodlebops. They're like crack for toddlers. My niece can't get enough. My mom actually misses some of Regis and Kelly so she can watch it. For her that's major. My mom loves her some Regis. My life in Ohio consists of walks on the treadmill, long afternoon naps and Court TV. My dad is a helpless Court TV junkie. I'm new to the game but am quickly becoming addicted.

In my four days here, I've watched documentaries on chrystal meth and women in prison. It was my second time watching the meth doc. I never get enough of this topic. It is utterly fascinating that you can make your own cheap drugs at home. It's devastating not only to your body but to entire communities. They showed the heartbreaking lifes of people struggling with meth addiction and the effects on the community. There are areas where schools asked children to no longer bring in baked goods because the treats were being baked on the same pans the parents were cooking their meth on. What the hell is that?

I don't know where my interest in meth come from but I think everyone has something that holds great unexplained interest for you. With me it's meth, the mafia and anorexia. I will watch any documentary or movie on these topics. Don't know why; it's just the way I'm wired. I've watched a marathon of Cops until 1 in the morning with my dad. Cops is like watching a car crash. You know you shouldn't but it's riveting.

I'm surprised I've enjoyed Court TV so much. I'm not a true crime person. Watching those movies or reading those books just scare the hell out of me. It reinforces the uncomfortable fact that bad violent things can happen to anyone. From a marketing/public relations point, I had to laugh that Court TV's tagline is "seriously entertaining." What the hell does that mean? That true life crime is entertaining and that's okay because it's "seriously" entertaining as opposed to "mindlessly" entertaining. I know what they were thinking but it just seems extremely cheesy and unimaginative.

Court TV panders to the public's deep interest in crime. The channel brings a polished Hollywood angle to the items we read in the newspaper everyday. Judging from my dad's love of Court TV; he's not alone. He probably fits their demographic to a T-- older male in middle America.

I'm curious. Have you watched Court TV? If so, why do you think it's so popular?

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I was abit of a true crime buff in my teens(mostly thur reading,back when they actually took the time to research a book.)so I understand some of the appeal. Part of it is the psychology involved in these cases and part of it is"did you see that?!"

These used to be a show called "Intervention"(I think it was on Bravo)about addicts of all sorts having their families step in to help them go to rehab. Most of the time it was crystal meth addicts and if you still wanted to try that after watching these miserable souls,aiyiyi!

On a brighter note,sounds like you're having fun with the fam,PCD. Enjoy:)

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home