Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Silver Foxes make me blush

Believe me. It hasn’t passed my mind that I didn’t comment on the biggest announcement of the Thanksgiving holiday. Every year I wait for the announcement with much anticipation but travel made it impossible to comment on a timely basis. But when you think about it, the topic is truly timeless. What other event shapes pop culture and even our lives more than People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive? That’s right ladies … and gentlemen; George Clooney won the coveted title twice. He ties my personal favorite, Brad Pitt, for this prestigious honor.

As always, Clooney is a classic choice. He’s smart, funny, handsome and talented. Can’t be mad at that. An obvious choice would have been Brad who is coming off one hell of a year or Daniel Craig, my new favorite, who is about to ride a gigantic wave of popularity. I applaud People for choosing an older more distinguished man. I’ve noticed lately that I’m partial to older men. There’s something about a man of a certain age who looks like he’s done it all and done it well.

In honor of Clooney, I’ve selected my personal candidates for Sexiest Man Alive over 40. Keep in my definition of sexy isn’t based solely on looks. I find passion and aptitude for something sexy. I think it’s sexy when some excels at something.

Here are the experienced veterans that make my pulse race:

Jeremy Irons, 58
Call me crazy but his portrayal of a lecherous old man sexing up his son’s girlfriend in Damage was insane. It probably says more about me than him that I developed a crush on him from this character. I had never looked at him in this light before. He is commanding and sensual.

Denzel Washington, 52
For years, women swooned over Denzel and I never found him attractive. Handsome yes but sexy no. As I get older though, I wonder what the hell was wrong with me. He’s incredibly talented, sexy and earnest. He’s like the boy next door with a naughty side.

Mikhail Baryshnikov, 58
His name will come up again and again with me. I admire his dancing, agility and longevity. I wanted to be a dancer until I was 12 and started to develop. It soon became apparent that you couldn’t be a ballerina standing 5’2’’ with a D-cup. Oh well, what happens to a dream deferred. I crushed madly on a world-class dancer.

Sean Connery, 76
Daniel Craig may be the new James Bond but Sean will always be my 007. What a striking and compelling man. His poise and appeal allowed him to redefine the notion of aging.

Sam Shepard, 63
I know. I have to unusual affinity for non-traditional looks. I’ve always felt he was deep in that poet/playwright way. He’s a talented writer and sensitive actor. I’ve always had a silent rivalry with Jessica Lange because she’s had relationship with Sam and Mikhail. It always seemed unfair for one woman to have such pleasure.

Clint Eastwood, 76
He’s another man who grew on me, as he got older. I adore and respect his movies. He’s crafted some films that are destined to be classics. Some already are. His calm demeanor and quiet manner speaks volumes about him.

Who is your pick for Sexiest Man Alive?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Clooney is indeed vvery sexy to me. So the kind of man I would go for at this point in my life if I were single.

I get the appeal of Jeremy Irons, though I'm not all hot and bothered by him. I find Dennis Quaid appealing in a stable, quiet life kind-of way.

I'll come back with more names once I think of them....

3:21 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

At the moment,Julian McMahon is the sexiest man alive to me(even watched some YouTube clips of him on Charmed-one of the goofiest shows ever-just to satisfy my needs).

I do get the older man deal,John Glover on Smallville is so stylishly wicked(especially when he has that gorgeous mane of hair)that I can't resist.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pjs

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Totally agree with you, Tere, on Dennis Quaid, though I've had a crush on him since he was but a babe in "Breaking Away." Alas, now we're both a couple of Silver Foxes. Well, a Silver Fox and a Silver Wolf. (Guess which one is which). ;-)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

jazzhands-what a shameless flirt you are. However, PJS is not a Silver Fox. He's too young.

Jeff-I'm guessing you're the wolf.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

Thinking more of sexy guys, period, I find Johnny Depp so alluring it kills me. And Brad, the older he gets, the sexier I find him.

Joaquin Phoenix is also very sexy to me.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Diva, you asked who's the sexiest man alive, and for me it could only be pjs, virtually speaking.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home