Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Rockers lack spark

Rock Star: Supernova was lackluster last night. While I bobbed my head occasionaly, I only threw my horns up once. Thanks Magni. Here's the long and short of it:

Patrice
Her original song "Beautiful Thing" was okay but more suited for Lilith Fair. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just can't shake the fact that she looks like a soccer mom with a past. She sounds great but doesn't bring energy to the stage.

Magni
His version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was dark and slightly creepy but represented the song well. He performed with the angst of a teenager in the ghettos of Iceland. Okay I doubt there are slums in his native land but if there were, the kids would love it. Also, is it just me or does he look like a bizarro Bono.

Ryan
His original "Back of Your Car" was surprisingly good. Unfortunaely, his brooding alt-rock persona doesn't fit Supernova. His vocals are good but his squinty eyed performances look like he's playing a rocker in a bad USA network movie.

Storm
She killed Aerosmith's "Cryin". The girl can sing anything but I think the show's stylist have cleaned her up to much. With her tatoos covered and tacky 80s eyeliner missing, she looks like Rock Star Barbie.

Dilana
That's my homie. Her version of The Police's "Every Breath you Take" was great. It wasn't my fav of her performances but she has managed to show depth and versatility. She's the front runner. What was up with the mother story.

Toby
Well, mate. His version of "Layla" was average. It was a little to gentle for my liking in the beginning. Everyone knows that great guitar lick and it was buried in the middle of the song. He's hot and had a great start but his days are numbered. I think he's a frat boy in hiding.

Lukas
My little troll doll. He's unique and interesting but he sings like he has marbles in his mouth. He started off clear and precise on The Killers' "All These Things I've Done." He soon reverted to his mumble mouthed ways. But he has a following and will make it to the end. He is entertaining in all of his smeared eyeshado glory.

Patrice MUST leave the show tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home