Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Tears of a Diva

It has been an emotional few days for the Diva. It started with the great news that I got a new car last Friday. No more public transit. It all came together really fast. It’s a 2007 Hyundai Accent. Very girly ice blue. It looks like a little cupcake with pale blue icing. All was good until I popped in the original Broadway Dreamgirls soundtrack to bebop around town. You know how I’ve been feeling this recording. Turns out every time I hear ‘And I Am Telling You’, I turn into a sniveling idiot.

There’s something about that song that is so powerful yet very emotional. The sad thing is the car doesn’t have tints yet so my fellow motorists get to see the freak show for free. Minutes of great singing (at least to my ears) followed by tears and quivering lips. I’m a hot mess folks.

I’ve always been emotional when it comes to movies. I can’t watch The Champ, West Side Story, Terms of Endearment or the Joy Luck Club without losing my marbles. This leads me to think of other songs that turn me to mush.

Here’s the short list of songs that make the Diva cry:

Sara Smile-Hall & Oates

This song for some reason tears me to pieces, which is unusual since Hall & Oates has always carried fun memories for me. I spent many a Saturday in elementary and middle school skating to their music at the roller rink. God, am I dating myself.

In My Life-The Beatles

There is something about the simplicity of this song that is magical. I think it sums up that feeling you get when you meet a special person. Everything falls away and you love them more.

Ribbon in the Sky- Stevie Wonder

This song is new to my list. It was my first dance with my husband at our wedding. He picked it out. When Stevie gets to the part about not losing with God on our side, I’m done. I’ve always been emotional but in the past six years even award acceptance speeches get me going.

What a Wonderful World- Louie Armstrong

This is another wedding memory. My dance with my dad was to this song. He was surprised by my choice of song but it seemed fitting for us. I well up whenever I hear it and think of him.

Now that you realize what a delicate flower I am. Don’t judge me.

What song gets you sentimental?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

To continue my militant streak from the Oscars thread, I can think of three 60s/70s protest songs that make me cry:

Turn, Turn, Turn (especially the part, "a time for peace, I swear it's not too late.")

Abraham, Martin and John (corny, yes, but it always gets me)

and the old Chicago recording Dialogue.

Talk about a bleeding heart!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure why, but The Carpenters recording of "Sing" (from Sesame Street) does it for me. Maybe it's the irony of the optimistic lyrics of self-acceptance vs the sadness of Karen's real life and death.

10:46 PM  
Blogger B said...

You ask such great questions, and I always draw an instant blank!

Today is no different...

8:03 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Oops, that was me. I'm using his computer...

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home