Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Climb Every Mountain

With Easter coming this Sunday, I’ve become a bit nostalgic. Easter conjures up clear visions and smells with a healthy dose of pop culture. America is such a marketing savvy nation that most Baby Boomers and beyond have specific pop culture ties to holidays and therefore their memories. What would Christmas be without the Grinch and Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree? You can’t celebrate the 4th of July without fireworks, picnic or a parade.

With that said, allow me to indulge myself with an ode to Easter.

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

I will be honest. I didn’t see the Sound of Music in its entirety until my senior year in high school. I knew the music and that it was played on TV every Easter. It wasn’t until I landed the role of Mother Abbess in my high school’s production that a light went on. That’s right I pioneered non-traditional casting in my small Ohio town. Fox Family is running the musical today, tomorrow and Sunday.

It’s Okay to Come Out

This will prove my traditional upbringing. Easter Sunday is the first day to wear white, as in pants and shoes. Even though I live in Miami. I bring out my whites on Easter and retire them on Labor Day. My mom would be so proud.

Eggs, Eggs and more Eggs

This was huge in my house growing up. We would color about three dozen eggs. It was like performing a mini science experience when you mixed the tiny color tab, vinegar and hot water. A miracle. My sister and I played Picasso while making a mess all over our mother’s kitchen table. We didn’t eat the eggs but loved to decorate them. Good times. Good times.

The Pig

My family is not that big on pig besides bacon and sausage and the occasional pork chop but we had to have ham for Easter. Forget the pretty Honey-baked ham. My mom does the old school ham with pineapples, cherries and cloves on the sides. Delicious.

A Dentist’s Nightmare

Between those scary cheap chocolate bunnies with the bulging candy eyes and the sugary marshmallow confection known as Peeps, I was on a 48 hour sugar high. It’s amazing I remember anything about Easter. My taste has refined a bit. Now I can’t live without the bunny shaped sweet tarts and pastel M & Ms.

What are your Easter traditions?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

When I was a kid,we did the egg dyeing(hated eggs but loved to color them)thing and getting the Easter basket with chocolate bunny was always the big highlight of the day.

This year,AMC is going to have a Shirley Temple movie marathon on Easter Sunday(they're calling it"Shirley,it's Easter!")which is really nice. Along with The Sound of Music repeat viewings,it's good for networks to plan some appropiate TV. I wish someone was showing"It's the Easter Beagle,Charlie Brown!" but the only animated show that's been on related to the holiday is the South Park "Fantastic Easter Special".

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home