Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Friday

Another week, another dollar. Unfortunately my busy schedule has prevented me from contributing to my blog the way I would like to but don’t fret. I’m back for my random Friday thoughts. I’ve done a lot of random TV watching that has left me dazed and confused. You’ll have to let me know what you think.

Pampered and Pussy-whipped

Or as the E! Network likes to call them Katie and Peter (pronounced Peet-A). Why these two have a reality show in the US is beyond me. From what the show explains, Katie Price is a well-known media whore in England. She’s famous for her scantily clad model alter ego Jordan. That’s right she channels another character when she models. Jordan is the trashier Pamela Anderson of Great Britain. The wicked party girl has branched into clothing, books and other enterprises. Peter Andre is a former boy bander who has branched out as a pop idol. The ethnic Nick Lachey of Great Britain.

Legend has it the two participated in some Survival-type show for celebrities, fell in love and got married. The reality show follows them around. She appears to be vapid and spoiled. He appears to be man-flaky and hot for her body. The show is like watching animals in the zoo. You’ve heard about people like this but never seen them close up. It’s oddly absorbing but probably only intrigues me because of the celebrity/pop culture sparkle. Does America really care about these people? Is this what the Posh Spice/Becks circus is going to look like?

Room with a View, Please

Rosie finally talked herself off The View. I like Rosie but she must be a headache to work with or even manage. I never thought that someone could be too opinionated for that show. The interesting thing about being outspoken is that it only works if you have something provocative to share. Being a gay parent isn’t enough of a platform to speak from because that’s not all you are. Rosie was unable to show enough facets to continue. I’m sure the spin they are making in true- this is a contract issue but if you really want someone for the job, you oblige.

Charm School My Ass

VH1 has abandoned their role as the older stately sister to MTV. They are now the Jerry Springer Network. (No pun intended. They also have a show that enlightens us to the tactics and procedures in booking and shooting Jerry Springer’s colorful guests.) Flavor of Love Girls Charm School is brilliant on the surface. Bring back the eclectic group of girls who vied for the Crypt Keeper’s affections over the last two season and dangle money in front of their face. The only problem is that a third of the girls have anger issues, another third is seeking Z-list celebrity from the show and the last third is truly ignorant. This is not a great combination. I can’t watch the show because I really feel sorry for them. Usually, I can bask in the glow of dramatic girl-on-girl catfights but these girls are exploiting themselves.

What do you think?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I've seen clips of Katie and Peter on E!'s The Soup and that's enough for me. They really will give anyone a show these days.

I think Rosie literally talked her way into a corner and this is one of those mutually agreed upon partings. I never watch The View and from most of the Rosie clips I've seen,I am much less inclined to. Hopefully,they can replace her with someone who brings some positive attention to the show.

As for Charm School,I caught the opening episode and cracked up when the gals had wilderness training from the Full Metal Jacket drill instructor! Mo'nique seems to have good intentions there but it's going to take more than just a cheesy reality show competion to make any lasting changes on these ladies. You offer most people a shot at winning a hundred grand and they'll do just about anything.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home