Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Random Thoughts

It has been an interesting week in the news and pop culture. I thought today would be the perfect time to explore the random thoughts rattling around in my perverse head.

Nappy Headed Hos

I know. I wasn’t going to talk about this because it doesn’t deserve more press but after hearing so much on the media regarding Imus’s unfortunate use of words to describe a group of elite female athletes, I felt compelled to speak. I don’t understand why this has been turned into a racial issue. Every woman should be outraged that he called a group of top athletes from a top university a bunch of whores. His adding nappy was obviously geared at the black team members but just added a racist flavor to his sexist soup.

IT’S NOT OKAY TO CALL WOMEN HOS OR BITCHES. I’ve been known to color my writing and language with the occasional bitch reference and it’s usually in a derogatory manner. So there is no way Imus didn’t mean to demean those ladies. He never would have called a group of Harvard law students a bunch of blond sluts without some backlash. It’s become imbedded in our pop culture.

I hold the rappers and other musicians responsible for the acceptance of this word. Yes, everyone has freedom of speech but with that freedom comes responsibility for what comes out of your mouth and how it makes someone feel. It’s unacceptable for rappers to call all women hos and bitches. I agree there is a certain type of woman that lives up to this name but I’m not her. I’ve heard a lot of male deejays saying that this had been blown out of proportion but they would be pissed off if someone called their mother, wife or daughter a nappy headed ho. It’s just not cool.

With this being such a common phrase, I find myself not always reacting to the term. First, because I’m not a ho and secondly because I’ve gotten used to it. This is a problem as well. Women need to step up and say something. I know I’m going to be more conscious of the usage. It’s different to be joking with friends and another to verbally assault a group of complete strangers.

A New Definition of Beauty

I was elated to see that Drew Barrymore would be the new Cover Girl. Queen Latifah sent me over the edge and Drew sent me over the moon. Finally! Cover Girls that I can relate to. Different sizes and shapes. Drew isn’t a classic beauty, which makes this even more special. I love that the definition of beauty is expanding and becoming more inclusive. I’ve always thought that that there is someone out there for everyone. Someone is going to love your plentiful stretch marks, enormous size 10 feet, fluffy love handles or Chubacca-like hairy arms.

Who’s Your Baby Daddy?

No big surprise here. Larry Birkhead is the father of little Dannielynn making Howard K. Stern look a bit delusional and pathetic. I do feel some sympathy for him. However, this was something that couldn’t be faked. Science will get you every time. It will be interesting what the next step will be in the Anna Nicole saga. Stay tuned.

What are you thinking about today?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I've been avoiding the Imus issue on my blog because it's gotten too messy. Bill O'Reilly(yes,I watch Bill O'Reilly sometimes-don't shoot!:))said that this was about promoting hate.

Actually,it was more about Imus saying something STUPID! and rude. Insulting these young women who are doing well in college sports and who should be held up as positive role models for females was just plain STUPID!!!

Some people seem to think that freedom of speech is license to say anything idiotic thing that springs to mind at the moment and that if you just say "sorry",it's ok. You can not yell "fire" in a crowded theater,folks! Free speech does not give you the right to be rude or hurtful. In the words of Stan Lee,with great power comes great responsibility.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home