Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Leg Watch: Week 5

I was going through my regular reading this morning when I came across two interesting articles in USA Today. The first was close to my heart because it talked about Dancing with the Stars maven Heather Mills or as I like to call her the dancing troll. (Side Note: Her leg didn’t pop off but she did fall over. Am I horrible to root for her leg to come off?) Forgive me. While I applaud her courageous task, I can’t get over her goulish looks and garish clothes.

The article brings up a valid point about using DWTS as a public relations/marketing tool. Read here. It might work for Ian Ziering but there is too much water under the bridge to save Mills’ tattered image in her native England. She means nothing to me and I’d like to think I’m indifferent but I do cast a suspicious eye on her relationship and divorce from Paul McCartney. Even my 70-year-old mother had harsh words for her and she probably didn’t know who she was before DWTS started.

This just illustrates the importance of great personal public relations and image building. She was never able to establish herself as genuinely in love with the Beatle before she was thrust in the hot spotlight and branded a gold digger.

The second article was about my other guilty pleasure – American Idol. Read here. It brings up the valid point that it is easier for Idol alumni to succeed in country music. Every season, except the current, has a resident country gal/guy - a Martina McBride/ Faith Hill warbler. Last year we were graced with two. Lucky us.

I’ve always thought this was a great disservice because no one can sing a Martina song better than she can and AI is supposed to be a pop music competition. Simon Cowell was famous for stressing that AI was looking for a pop idol. Remember poor Josh Gracin and the lashings he received for his country leanings. That went out the window the minute he saw Carrie Underwood and the cash register started to ka-ching in his ears.

I know what you’re thinking. What about the rockers and R & B talents? Very true that they aren’t considered pop but they still get plenty of play on pop radio. Pop radio pulls from hip-hop, rock, alternative and R & B not country. Country music crosses over to adult radio but not Top 40. The only crooner with a twang to do that recently was Shania Twain. Even Martina, Faith and Carrie are relegated to country radio or easy listening stations.

It’s easy to explain why country Idols do so well - the fan base. Country music has the most devoted fans next to soap opera fanatics and trekkies. Country doesn’t have to compete with other genres or jockey for position in the record stores. Did I just date myself? There’s no such thing as records anymore unless you’re spinning at a club but CD store sounds just as bizarre. Okay, music store. Either way, thanks to the AI publicity machine country contestant do well.

What are your thoughts?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I haven't watched DWTS since season one but if Heather Mills did have a"leg malfunction",I'd looking for a YouTube clip of it,bigtime. So,don't feel too bad there,PCD-you're not alone:)!

Country seems to cross over well with pop at times-Olivia Newton-John had a few country hits like "Please Mister,Please" and "Sam". Also,Dolly Parton's been a pop favorite as well with "9 to 5" and "Islands in the Stream". Of course,I'm trying to recover from Sanjaya butchering of Bonnie Raitt"Something to talk about"...it was like listening to a eunuch singing that song...ARGHH!!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

Like you, I have no use for Heather Mills. I've thought from the get-go that this was a PR stunt to improve her image here, since it's beyond hopeless in the UK (aside: I've read some pretty heavy shit about her that, if true, is pretty bad: prostitution and such).

She really DOES look goulish and her outfits are hideous, week after week. Also, she has absolutely NO grace, fake leg or not.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I can always count of you ladies to keep it real! Thanks!!

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home