Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, January 05, 2007

I'm Having a Rent Moment

I'm at it again. A friend gave me a copy of the Dreamgirls original Broadway cast CD and I can't stop listening to it. I'm becoming obsessed with 'One Night Only'. I love it when it goes all Donna Summers at the end. I feel like I should be at Studio 54 wearing Halston and platform shoes. Pray for me. This could last awhile. It's Rent all over again.

One thing is clear from this recording, Jennifer Hudson is no Jennifer Holliday. With all respect to Ms. Hudson (who is amazing in Dreamgirls the motion picture), Ms. Thang (Holliday) rips the lid off every song. She has a great softness to her voice that add unbelievable dimension to the sound of her voice and the meaning of the words. Gotta go! 'Move Out' is about to start!!

What's been your obsession lately?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote another diva: We need a Holliday!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Love "Ain't No Party" from the original score! What a shame it was left out of the movie. Anika did a good job as Lorrell but could have done much more if she'd been allowed her big solo. As it is, the movie Lorrel is way underwritten.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

So true JR. It wouldn't have killed them to add another two-three minutes in the movie for that song. They allowed Beyonce to shriek for at least five minutes with "Listen".

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home