Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Meow

Boy, I really must have too much time on my hands because I’ve watched the Search the Next Doll. I literally Forrest Gumped my way into watching it twice. The first time was Sunday evening. I flipped the channel, ran into it and just continued to watch. All the bright colors, big air and thumpin’ music kept me transfixed. I’d like to say it’s a lot like America’s Next Top Model but it’s a watered down version at best.

First, who are the Pussycat Dolls? Tarted up Spice Girls without distinct personalities. There is no Baby or Scary. They are a vamped up version of a standard girl group if Hugh Hefner were to put them together. Don’t get me wrong. Their songs are catchy and I liked a few Spice Girl ditties. Don’t You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me is brilliant and I’ve been known to do a mean car dance to Buttons but they are not exactly Simon & Garfunkel taking music into new territory.

To hear the PCD creator pontificate you’d think they have revolutionized pop music. I’m not knocking their hustle but let’s put this in perspective before they get all Madonna on us. They are sexy girls with limited talent that warble funked up pop songs. I’m slightly scared of the contestant’s admiration for the group, which borders on fanaticism. An 18-year-old is too green for these grinding divas yet there are a few young ones up to the task. Their parents must be so proud since college doesn’t seem to be an option.

The opening show highlighted the wannabes struggle to make the final 9. Unfortunately, a stomach virus ripped through the kitten’s lair forcing half of the girls to be in various states of vomiting. When did it become acceptable or desirable to see people puke on television? It’s nasty. Isn’t that why you usually turn away or close your eyes when a friend throws up after a long night of partying? Really!! Apparently, a PCD has to do a show regardless of uncontrollable stomach spasms, vomiting and dehydration. Girls were bumping and grinding in between turns at the IV.

The Search for the Next PCD works a lot like ANTM in that pretty girls realize that being pretty isn’t enough. Gotta love that. The best part is when the girls perform at the end of the episode. Then you find out who’s full of shit and who rocks. Imagine the feeling after being told that you’re not classy enough for the PCD. These are women that perform in lingerie. Ouch!

I can pretty much take this or leave it. It’s obviously a shameless marketing tool but if by chance it’s on my screen I’ll end up watching it again. I’m so weak.

Have you been watching? Fess us and tell me what you think?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Oh hell, no! This is way too vapid for me. The PCDs are total crap to me...

3:08 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I know right. I can't believe I've been watching this show.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home