Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Everybody Has One

I don’t know what has happened to me but I have been downright opinionated this past week. Not in an obnoxious ‘my opinion is the only opinion’ way but more in a ‘I have a clear idea of how I feel about everything.’ It’s actually liberating. Part of my nature is to listen to people’s opinions without making a face that says I think you’re full of shit. I try to enter conversations by accepting that not everyone feels or thinks the way I do, which essentially makes them inferior. Just kidding. I’d like to think I’m evolved enough to accept different thoughts.

With that said, I have to say there are certain stories in the media that have lost their interest for me. I love a secret affair, illegitimate child and inner demons as much as the next person but our obsession with pop culture and all things celebrity has forced the media to milk stories. At some point the novelty wears off and we’re stuck with either an extremely mundane situation or pathetic/tragic downfall.

I count the following stories among those that have lost their luster for me. It’s not fun watching the freak show anymore.

TomKat

The suspect courtship and ritual-like marriage of TomKat has jumped the shark. It actually jumped the shark about two minutes after he vandalized Oprah’s couch with his shoes. I don’t know why the smiling couple’s relationship has been met with such animosity and contempt. But sometimes you just get a feeling that something ain’t right and I think the public let Top Gun & Joey (sounds like a 70s cop show) know that they weren’t fooled by their shameless attempt to turn their personal life into a photo opportunity.

Britney Spears

Poor Spock-like Brit has gone through puberty in front of the public and now we get to see her have a nervous breakdown. The minute she crawled out of that car without panties, the film should have stopped because everything since there is like watching someone pick their nose. You’re disgusted by watching it but you want to know where they’re going to put the booger. Enough with Brit. Let her recover. We don’t need Britney watch Day 2 1/2.

Brangelina

It started off as an unbelievable mixing of two of the hottest people the planet and a big FU to poor Jennifer Anniston but has turned into domestic bliss. We no longer contemplate how long they will last because they are totally immersed in their rainbow tribe of children and saving the word. Who can argue with that?

Anna Nicole Smith

She’s dead. No one knows who the father is. Call in Maury Povich.


Paris Hilton/Lindsey Lohan/Nicole Richie

They are affluent party girls who are trying to use up their 15 minutes of fame before we forget their names or they become instant pop culture footnotes. Live it up girls because I’m already over you. Though, it would be nice if you contributed something meaningful before you’re done. I don’t think The Simple Life qualifies.

What other stories aren’t fun anymore?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

I'm with you on all these except Brangelina. I'm still fascinated. Every picture that comes out is perfect and basically from another planet.

10:51 AM  
Blogger lady t said...

The thrill is gone with most of these stories,you're right,PCD. Whatever happened to that Madonna adoption deal? It was all over the media like a rash at one time and now,not a word.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home