Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Ballot Please

The Academy Awards are Sunday and I’m overjoyed. I can feel myself getting giddy already. The fashion, music, acceptance speeches and more. Who will be there? Who will look angelic? Who will look like a hot mess (besides Joan Rivers and her homely daughter)? Will Ellen wear a dress or perform one of her goofy dances? I can’t wait.

There are still a couple of movies I need to see. I have The Departed but can’t seem to watch it. Half Nelson is next up on my Netflix list. I’ll have to catch The Queen on DVD. With that said, I feel quite confidant about my Oscar picks but wouldn’t it be exhilarating to have a massive surprise during the ceremony.

Below are the Diva’s picks for the major categories:

Best Actress- Helen Mirren

This chick is unstoppable. I think she’ll easily pull off a win. She’s been a critical darling for years and will take home her gold man. While I was hypnotized by Dame Judy’s crazy English spinster school teacher, Dame Helen will win.

Best Actor-Forest Whitaker

Soft-spoken Forest will reign victorious though I have an faint voice in the back of my head that says Peter O’Toole could get the sympathy vote. However, I’m sticking with my gut that says Forest will win.

Best Supporting Actress- Jennifer Hudson

This budding diva will win for her boisterous Effie. This may be her only brush with Oscar as an actress. I don’t know that she has the acting chops to make this a creditable career. Dreamgirls was a matter of amazing material meeting the perfect vessel. It was magical. I’d love to eat my words but I need to see her in another role that isn’t centered around her voice or size.

Best Supporting Actor- Eddie Murphy

With the absence of Brad Pitt for Babel and Steve Carell for Little Miss Sunshine, my vote goes to Eddie Murphy. Alan Arkin could snatch it but in the end Eddie stretched himself and gave a comic yet endearing performance.

Best Picture- Babel

On a whole, this movie embodies all things Oscar. There was a great script, diverse cast and empowering message of unity and globalization- that we are all connected to one another.

Any predictions?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I agree with all your picks except for Best Picture. I think that Little Miss Sunshine is going to take it this year. The Departed's a great movie and Oscar worthy but it's not sending me that winner vibe,Letters from Iwo Jima feels way too History Channel and The Queen(which I'll have to catch on DVD,too)is a Very British story.

I didn't see Babel but it seems to be this year's Crash and academy voters try hard not to be Repeat-O Girl,so that leaves LMS. It's a shame that Dreamgirls wasn't nominated for this catagory,such a wonderful film that would've swepted the show,IMO

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home