Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Love Love Love

Happy Valentine’s Day, dear hearts. Today is the day of LOVE and hopefully a little nookie for many of you. With amor in the air, it’s natural to think of all things romantic. The New York Daily News came up with a list of the 100 best love songs. Naturally, I had some additions to the list. Not for nothing but My Girl isn’t the best love song. It’s cute but not #1. There was tough criteria, however. All songs had to be around at least a decade and considered a top 20 hit of that particular year, which would explain all of the golden oldies from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Face it. There aren’t too many MTV generation artists putting out love songs. Not to be confused with sex songs. R. Kelly can write a sex song but comes up short in the romance department. Where are the great balladeers of today? They’ve traded in their velvet voices to sing hooks for hip hop artists.

After looking at the NY Daily News list, here are a few songs that should be added:

A Song For You- Donny Hathaway

Are you kidding? This may be the best love song ever. Perfect 70s soul. Emotional, loving and touching. The perfect song.

Love Song-The Cure

I just recently got into this song. What a lovely love song. I always liked the Cure for their lead singer’s teased hair and smeared lipstick but gained much respect for this simple ditty.

So Amazing- Luther Vandross

Any song by Luther could make this list but this song is truly beautiful. I’m also a fan of If This World Were Mine. His passing was a great loss for R & B music.

This Will Be- Natalie Cole

Love this song. It’s the perfect up-tempo love song.

Look What You’ve Done to Me- Boz Scaggs

Boy, I’m showing my penchant for cheesy 70s/80s music. This song has the perfect boozy bar sound. Like it’s last call in you favorite hangout and you’re dancing the last dance with that cute guy who has been eyeing you all night. Wow. That was a vivid picture.

Have You Ever Been in Love- Celine Dion

I can’t believe I put a Celine song on this list but this song is splendid vocally. Her voice opens up in a stunning way and the words are poetic.

Take My Breath Away- Berlin

What can I say? I’m a child of the 80s. Berlin’s rendition is okay and Jessica Simpson’s was atrocious. I’m waiting for the definitive versions but the words and sentiment are what I respond to. Maybe Mary J. could take it for a ride.

What would you put on the list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home