Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

365 Days A Year

In honor of Black History Month and the legends that came before me, I’m looking at the contributions of black folks to pop culture. Everyone knows (or at least thinks) that we’re funny, fast and rhythmic. I’ll go with that, though you’ve never seen my mother do the Electric Slide. It ain’t pretty. Oddly enough for a group of people that continues to struggle, we have an amazing ability to make anything our own. We’ve put our charismatic touch on music, movies and television and watched in as it was absorbed into other cultures.

Here’s a list of movies that sum up the African-American experience through cinema. The movies are diverse and reflect the multi-dimensional nature of black folks. If you haven’t seen them, add them to your Netflix list.

Glory (1989)

What a powerful story. I haven’t seen it in years and I’m due for a refresher. It tells a story I had never thought about. Black troops in the Civil War. Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington are phenomenal.

Something New (2006)

I enjoyed this light comedy about a successful black woman coming to grips with dating a white man. If you didn’t know anything about black woman and our hair, you will after this movie.

School Daze (1988)

I had to have a Spike Lee movie on this list but which one. I like this movie because it explores the conflict between light skin and dark skin blacks. People might not think this would be an issue but it is in many cultures actually. Lee’s earlier flicks speak to me. I’m especially fond of Summer of Sam, an overlooked movie, which introduced me to Adrien Brody. Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever and Malcolm X are all important films.

Any Blaxploitation film

You cannot leave this earth without seeing a genuine blaxploitation film. This was an innovative genre popular in the late 60s and 70s. Black culture of this time made pimp and hoe-lifestyles glamorous and fascinating, a trend that continues today in pop culture. I suggest Blacula, Shaft, Super Fly, Sweet Sweetback’s Badass Song and Foxy Brown.

Car Wash(1976)

This has an integrated cast but would probably be considered an urban picture. It still holds up today as a hilarious comedy about a day in the life of the assorted characters working in an L.A. car wash. Too funny. Great soundtrack and theme song.

Did I miss a movie? What movie gave you an unforgettable glimpse into black culture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home