Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Purple Reign

I’m not really into football or the Super Bowl but I like to watch the half time show. This year it was Prince so you know I had to watch it. I’ve been a fan of his royal highness (thanks to my big sis) since the days when he wore the huge fro. I was looking forward to watching his badass work the stage and I wasn’t disappointed.

Imagine the scene. I was attending the going away party for my good friend JR who has decided to finish his novel in Nicaragua with the monkeys in the jungle. We are in his posh but cozy Coral Gables cottage. I’m in a sea of gorgeous luxurious gay men and a few elegant women. We all pile into the room for the big purple spectacular.

It starts and Prince is strutting his stuff sporting a teal suit, orange flowy blouse and high heel boots to match the suit. Impeccable and totally Prince. He’s the only straight man who could get away with this outfit. The purple rain was flowing in Miami yet he didn’t seem to get wet and didn’t slip on his heels. I guess years of working the runway/stage keep you fierce like that. I don’t think he’s aged one bit since 1985 either. A few in my group suspected surgical intervention. His coif was gloriously covered with a black scarf ala Aunt Jemina.

Here’s the conversation:

JBT: Look at the hairdress. It’s soooo traditional.

Gay man #1: Honey. If that’s traditional, why isn’t she wearing it? (Pointing to the Black girl seated next to him.)

[Laughter erupts in the room]

Gay man # 1:Yes, in honor of Black History Month, he’s wearing the traditional hairdress.

Gay man #2:Yes the traditional du-rag.

[More laughter and inappropriate jokes]

I loved it. You haven’t watched Super Bowl until you watched it with the gays. So, in honor of Prince ,who turned the mutha out, what his your favorite Prince moment?

Purple Rain

This movie and soundtrack rocked. I still have the album in my parent’s basement along with the soundtracks to Grease and Footloose. I told you I’m a child of the 80s. Looking at the movie today it’s a bit embarrassing but still rocking. The music is infectious and original. The acting is a little stilted but we forgive him.

Assless pants

I’ll never forget watching the MTV Video Awards (Can’t remember what year. Help me out if you know.) with my dad when he realized that Prince had cut outs on his ass. Classic Prince.

Slow Jams

No one does a slow song like Prince. We’re talking good old-fashioned sex music or music to move you in that direction. ‘Do Me Baby’ and ‘International Lover’ are my favorites.

What’s your favorite Prince moment?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sing to me, Prince:

"I wanna be your lover...I wanna be your mother and your sister, too."

"I wanna turn you on, turn you out, all night long, make you shout..."

Who could resist? Who would want to?

6:54 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

I missed the Super Bowl performance(will try to find it on YouTube) but it is as good as the appearance Prince made on the Grammys?

My favorite Prince picks would be the Batman soundtrack he wrote and sang. Plenty of great sexysinister tunes there,plus that Batdance video! Batdance is beyond over the top but I love the Gemini persona he created.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home