Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Grammy's Amaze

I couldn’t believe I actually made it through the Grammy’s last night without checking my watch or switching channels. That’s always a good indicator of how entertaining a program is. I was thoroughly pleased with the caliber of performers as well as the nominees and the winners. Gnarls Barkley, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Police were on fire.

The Dixie Chicks had a big night. While some of their wins were a surprise, I was happy to see the talented women, who now don’t have a genre and lost much of their fan base, win major honors. It was a big F-you to the people who turned their backs on them and thought pulling them off radio would kill their careers. I’ve been a fan of the Chicks since their second album and have always enjoyed the vibe and message of their music. I’m not big on too much country but I love the Chicks.

For a list of winners look here. I consulted with my New York correspondent O who weighed in on his highlights throughout the ceremony. Here’s my picks for the best moments of the night:

Most Deserved Win

Mary J. Blige has turned into one of the finest vocalist of the decade. There is always a raw emotion in her interpretation of a song. Something from which the American Idol wannabes can learn. She can reduce you to tears in one note. I first heard Mary J. in college. As soon as Real Love came out, me and my girlfriends rushed to buy the CD. She was fresh, brash, emotional and managed to bring an R & B vibe to a hip hop track.. She was the first to do that.

Best Worst Donald Trump Moment

Don Henley had a peculiar gray fur-like material on his head. It looked like a front comb over and way too much like The Donald for my liking. What the hell was that?

Best Performance

Without a doubt itty bitty Christina Aguilera packed an awesome punch with her rendition of It’s a Man’s World. She was soulful and powerful in her tribute to James Brown. It takes a huge set of balls to attempt that song especially as a woman. She didn’t even over sing, which is a challenge for her at times. She even channeled the Godfather of Soul at the end when she uttered one of his unintelligible phrases. The ones that used to have scratching your head

Tearful Moment

I couldn’t help but get choked up when they brought out James Brown’s cape. It was touching to me. I’m sure his band misses him. I know I will.

Purest Performance

The electric trio of performances by Corinne Bailey Rae, John Legend and John Mayer brought different elements of R & B, a genre that I think has suffered over the last years. Rae is a bright pure light in voice and vision. John Legend has odd voice quirks but knows his way around a piano and a ballad. John Mayer, though I still find him a bit creepy, has turned into a fine bluesman and songwriter. The musicality of these artists is inspiring and points toward a long-standing career.

Hottest Rocker of 40

Anthony Keidis is not only in fine voice, he has managed to keep his rock star sexuality in tune as well. I love him when he’s a brunette and even more when he lets his hair grow. Meow!

Awkward Fan Moment

It was a clever gimmick to have an aspiring singer have a Grammy moment with Justin Timberlake. The girl that won was great but the segment was too long with her getting washed out and overpowered by JT and T.I.

Best Dress

Christina Aguilera pulled it off again in this category. Her dress and makeup were exquisite. I’m still trying to figure out her hair. It was too platinum, if that’s possible. I’ve long suspected that she has alopecia, meaning she’s losing her hair or may have lost it all. However, she blazed the trail for all the songbirds last night. Jennifer Hudson looked smoking in her dress. She gave new meaning to brick house and inspired a legion of girls over a size 8 to dream of designer gowns. The girls looked glamorous except Mandy Moore who must have stubmbled upon her grandmother's house coat and decided to go in a different direction.

What was your favorite Grammy moment?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

PCD, I have to disagree.... I found the show boring and the audio awful. The Police reunion did nothing for me. I don't know what I was expecting, perhaps the gates of heaven to open up? I don't know, it just felt anti-climactic.

Also, the audio sucked. I couldn't hear any of the performers sing. Either the levels were off or something, because the music drowned the voices and the mics picked up all the audience noise.

And finally, while the Mayer/Legend Rae performance was sweet and soulful, it was looooong. They lost me at that point and everything dragged from there.

That said, the Dixie Chicks rocked their performance out. Loved it.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina Aguilera totally rocked! I even liked Carrie Underwood´s Grand Ole Opry turn. Could´ve done without the Spanish commentary drowning out the acceptance speeches, though.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think you would go there with the Alopecia comment, hilarious!(but not) When can we get some images in here! We need them! PS Who is this new New York Correspondent, sounds hot!

1:02 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

I'll be saying more about the Grammys later this week but gotta say this: I saw Hilary Duff in the E! pre-show Red Carpet bit and her outfit screamed disco whore. It was some cheesy camisole thing made out of oversize sequins and lace.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

Sorry, you didn't enjoy the awards T. I was surprised I liked them so much.

Nice to hear from you NMB!!

Anon, my New York correspondant is this fabulous young graphic designer and culture maven. I don't want to give away his name but he's up and coming and absolutely brilliant. I just call him O. And yes, he's extremely hot.

9:33 AM  
Blogger O said...

I hate to admit it but I spent all of yesterday anxiously awaiting for someone to post Aguilera's Grammy performance on YoutTube and finally TODAY, I was able to repeat it over and over and over again. I managed to send the link out to 15 people so
here it is again.

At first the rhaspiness was killing
me but I warmed up to it, and then the screech? Did she lose it?

Let me know what you guys think, here's the link if you missed it the first go-round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MMzH5ysuY

O

4:24 PM  
Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

O, I watched it twice on TiVo. She sang the hell out of that song.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home