Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Honeys, I don’t know how I’m writing to you now. With the Academy Awards going overtime as usual, I’m barely functioning. I always feel compelled to watch the ceremony from beginning to end. This year I tacked on an 1 ½ hours of red carpet and the Barbra Walters special.

The 79th Annual Academy Awards had one thing going for them – Ellen Degeneres. She did a great job of keeping the ball rolling. Her interaction with the audience was hilarious. She has such a self-deprecating approach to comedy that allows her to make fun of herself and draw attention to others. Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C. Reilly were phenomenal in their send up of comedians snubbed by the Academy.

I appreciated the Academy’s intro including all of the nominees. It was a great inclusive idea that gave everyone five minutes of fame. Ellen also brought home the idea that this was a true global even with nominees from all points around the globe. Kudos to the Academy! Though, with such time constraints there were way too many montages and tributes.

I was happy that there were a few surprises in the sometimes tedious four hour awards ceremony. Look at results here. I was shocked The Departed. My Latin America correspondent called me early in the day to make his picks. He called Forest Whitaker but said that because Peter O’Toole will be looked over, Alan Arkin will reap the benefits. Great call, JR. My New York correspondent, O, texted me throughout the ceremony. He thought Helen Mirren was fabulous, Celine Dion flawless and found Emily Blunt surprisingly exquisite. I thought Reese Witherspoon once again looked youthful and sexy while Cate Blanchett’s dress was out of this world. Check out the fashions here.

Here’s the Diva’s take on Hollywood’s biggest night:

Elvira Returns

James Bond’s main squeeze Eva Green was gothic couture with an enormous black hairdo that swamped her face and tiny frame. The money looked like she was overpowered by Cousin It.

Morphing Acrobats

Don’t recall the name of the group but the morphing acrobats were a weird addition to the telecast. They seemed entirely out of place but obviously the producer saw them somewhere and loved them.

Orator of the Night

Forest Whitaker reversed his fortune by delivering the best speech of the night. His words, though written down, were beautifully stated. His was a message of hope and gratitude. Everyone seemed shocked by his insightful and poignant words.

Sixty New Thirty?

Helen Mirren and Diane Keaton were the baddest chicks in the Kodak Theatre last night. Mirren was a vision in an angelic sequined gown. Keaton abandoned her Annie Hall meets eccentric neighbor look. She was radiant and svelte in head to toe black. Beautiful.

Translator Please

While I applaud the international theme of the awards, the person who paired Catherine Deneuve and Ken Watanabe missed the mark. Their thick accents were in bad need of sub-titles. I just scratched my head and smiled.

Self-Indulgent Diva Moment

As Simon loves to say on American Idol, “That’s was totally indulgent.” Of course, I’m referring to the Dreamgirls spectacular for the three nominated songs. It was as if the Academy felt bad for snubbing them for best picture so they gave them three song nominations and too much time during the ceremony. All of the Dreamgirls over sang though J.Hud was able to reign her voice in somewhat. Beyonce was going through such hysterics that her weave was plastered to her face at the end. Too much.

What were your favorite moments?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I loved Whitaker's speech and I knew J. Hud was going to cry when she recieved her award. So great but it took FOREVER to get to her.

The Dreamgirls bit was over the top but I was glad Jennifer got the chance to sing(Beyonce really was trying to work it with "Listen" but no dice). Is it just me or was that gigglefest between Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt just annoying? Geez, just give out the award and go to the slumber party afterwards ladies!

Was surprised by The Departed win and Pan's Labyrinth getting rooked out of Best Foreign Film-not cool!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

I was glad Eddie Murphy didn't win - I just don't like him.

I'm happy for Whitaker, but felt bad for O'Toole.

HATED Kirsten's dress. Wow, awful on top of hideous on top of awful.

My favorite look was Rachel Weisz, but the necklace was unnecessary.

Penelope's dress was totally right on for a best actress nominee and deliciously over-the-top for the Oscars.

I'm quite done with Beyonce. She needs to disappear for a few years or something.

J Lo looked awful, too.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they announced there'd be a "Dreamgirls" reunion, I was hoping for Jennifer Holliday, Sheryl Lee Ralph and Loretta Devine instead of the movie Dreams. Oh well.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Was glad Jennifer Hudson remembered to thank Jennifer Holliday, and that she managed to get it in as the orchestra was playing her off.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home