Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

America's Next Top Model-Neo Feminism or Devil's Tool

Have you ever had a moment of clarity at the most unexpected time? I had one of those A-Ha moments in front of my TV last night. It was 7:55 and I was trying to figure out how to watch three shows. TiVo is my best friend but if you record two shows at once, you have to watch one of the shows. Yes, this was my dilemma last night. I ended up taping America’s Next Top Model while I watched American Idol and George Lopez/Knights of Prosperity/According to Jim.

Then it came to me. Even though I’m not emotionally attached to too many shows, I watch a lot of freakin’ television. It’s that pop culture monkey on my back. Anyway, the point of my blog isn’t my addiction; it was the new cycle of ANTM. I just felt it was important to share my revelation. It aids in the recovery process.

My NYC correspondent O introduced ANTM to me. After watching the first season, he demanded that I give this show a try. So actually, you could call him my pusher. I was immediately drawn into this surreal show of long legs, boney clavicles and erratic behavior. I appreciate the fact that these budding models learn that being pretty isn’t enough. Amen. You can tell they’ve all been told that they should be a model and in some of their small ponds, they are considered supermodels. However, all that changes when they meet Tyra Banks and her band of merry dream squashers.

ANTM works on two levels. It’s an intriguing look into fashion. You truly have no idea what it takes to get a good picture from these chicks. I love watching the girls navigate photo shoots that include posing in a wind tunnel, with male models and bulls to name a few. It also works on another level. It’s slightly fun to watch these women who are considered the ideal of beauty struggle with low self-esteem, performance anxiety and rejection. True satisfaction is watching Tyra reveal her quirky nerdy side at least once an episode. I also love it when she sports her tranny-chic diva look.

This season Tyra selected two plus size models. Let’s hear for the big girls, even though a plus size model wears a 12 or 14 and as you know I’m a 12. At 5’2’’, a size 12 doesn’t look like a supermodel. I’m more your brick house variety.

ANTM is always a great source of entertainment because you always have the reality show prototypes: the bitch (this year in the form of a slutty Russian mail order bride), the black sassy girl, the know-it all, the unstable bi-racial girl , the fiery Latina and the thrift store beauty.

I don’t know who the winner will be yet. I need to see their reaction to their makeovers. This tells a lot about the girls. I must say hubby J has picked the last five winners. He’s also the stylist and photographer of my picture on this blog. He channeled the energy of Tyra’s fierce Mr. J.

What’s your thoughts on ANTM?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

I missed it yesterday since I opted to soak in the tub (SO needed it!), but you know I'm a fan.

I must say, though, that Tyra's worked my last nerve lately with that talk show of hers and her constant "me", "me", "me" nonsense. Geez, every damn thing that happens is somehow about her!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home