Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, April 30, 2007

What would you do if your mother came back from the grave?

I don’t always see the appeal of Penelope Cruz as an actress. I get her unconventional beauty, poise and feminine qualities but her acting has been questionable. The only time she seems to sparkle is in Spanish-language films. As was the case in Volver, which was my weekend movie. I wasn’t sure that I was up to reading subtitles. My Spanish is passable in small doses and simple conversations.

Volver follows the path of Raimunda (Cruz), her daughter Paula (Yohana Cobo) and Raimunda’s sister Sole (Lola Duenas) four years after the death of their mother. The death of their great aunt and return of their mother Irene (Carmen Maura) sets a series of acts in motion that are difficult to predict. Described as a comedy, I found it amusing but not really a comedy. The film was filled with revelations that were not only heartbreaking but also surprising. I don’t want to give away too much.

As always, director Pedro Almodovar allows us to reside in his colorful reality and his hometown region of La Mancha. The opening scenes of women cleaning their relative’s graves brought back memories. I spent many a Saturday, cleaning and planting flowers at relative’s graves. I know the passion and emotions that go into the process.

I’ve been an admirer of Almodovar since Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! It was my introduction to the quirky director and yummy Antonio Banderas. I didn’t think I could like once of his films more than the creepy yet engaging Bad Education but Volver was very good in a more conventional way.

Cruz possesses that Meg Ryan quality of tearing up without letting the tears drop. Her character was expressive and complex. At first glance you see one dimension but her many layers are unveiled as the movie progresses making her the most dynamic person next to her mother. I enjoyed the theme and pace of the film. Maura, a Almodovar alumn was endearing as a mother seeking forgiveness.

What did you see this weekend?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home