Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, May 04, 2007

I'm Not Saying I'm Clairvoyant

But I can predict the future. I’m referring to Oprah’s recent guest Dina Matos McGreevey, the long -suffering wife of former New Jersey governor Jim McGreevey/the gay American. You may remember the buzz a few years back when after being blackmailed by a male lover, McGreevey was shoved out of the closet. Who was the glassy-eyed blond with the nervous smile by his side? It was his mortified and obviously stunned wife.

I remember watching the show and thinking his story was interesting but everyone would want to hear from his wife. I knew Oprah would get the interview. Dina was out promoting her new book Silent Partner. I have to say her appearance was a huge disappointment. If her book reads like her interview, it will suck.

It’s obvious that she’s passed her shocked stage and slid into the bitter angry stage. I’m not saying she doesn’t have a right to be there. I probably would have slashed his clothes or caught his clothes on fire ala Angela Bassett in Waiting to Exhale. But she’s way too furious to tell her story objectively. She needs more time and prospective on the matter.

She portrayed herself as a victim and I don’t think she’s a victim. She’s a survivor. Her husband did a hurtful thing but she’s still taking the angle that she had no clue. She admits he was extremely secretive. Hushed conversations with his first wife? Throwing a secret party for Wife #1? Not meeting his child from the first marriage? Never visiting her in-laws house? Having his friend ask you if you’d accept a proposal from him if he asked?? This doesn’t make him gay but it does make him peculiar. She sounded like she was in the denial stage.

I’m not judging her but her story and memories didn’t seem 100%.

If you saw the Oprah or read the book, what are your thoughts?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Aw, I'm disappointed! You know I had high hopes for the Oprah interview...

Sounds like she's playing it the wrong way...

10:43 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

Also: "I'm a gay American" - that crack-ass line is the funniest ever.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home