Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Slippery When Wet

Sometimes I have a moment of clarity at the most surprising times. I walk past a mirror and catch a glimpse of something wild and untamed. Turns out it’s me. My hair has totally frizzed out from doing Tae Bo. I look like a young Tina Turner. I’m watching American Idol and the guest mentor is Jon Bon Jovi. I realize I’m older, once again I refuse to say old. I know all of the Bon Jovi songs. They were the biggest thing running my senior year, next to Def Leppard and George Michael. Yes, we all wanted his sex. Class of ’89 rocks.

I was shocked and relieved that Bon Jovi night didn’t turn out to be another Gloria Estefan debacle. All of the contestants channeled their inner rock star with some amazing results. The selections were typical but filled with power. The stylists went into heavy metal gear. There was more big hair, tight denim, leather boots and chunky jewelry than all of Ozzyfest. With two wannabes being eliminated, performances needed to be perfect.

Here’s the run down:

Phil-Blaze of Glory

He’s definitely found his niche in the country rock format but he was yelling again last night. It was a tad manic and scary but at least it was filled with energy and motion. You didn’t want to fall asleep like on his other endevours.

Jordin-Livin’ on a Prayer

I was surprised she had trouble on this but she worked it the best she could. Her powerhouse voice wouldn’t allow her to let go and live the song. It kind of spun out of control but she was rockin’ the latest in suburban rocker goth wear.

LaKisha-This Ain’t a Love Song

At least I think this was the name of the song. Whatever it was, she sang the hell out of it. I just hope it isn’t too late for her. She was able to direct her belting voice into a rock song. Brilliant! Oh, and did I mention the Kiki/Simon kiss. I always knew he liked the black girls.

Blake-You Give Love a Bad Name

I wanted to hate this from the beat box opening to the Michael Jackson ending but it was pretty good. I don’t know that beat boxing is so much an innovation to a song in 2007 but it was different. Simon had it right. Half of the audience will love it the other half will hate it. My mother won’t know what to make of that.

Chris-Dead or Alive

Poor kid was trying to make it work but barely held on to the groove. I thought he would play up the country boy within since the R & B crooner gets diluted more and more each week.

Melinda-Have a Nice Day

She might not know how to throw up the horns but she can kick it rock style. This was the performance she needed to show her sassy side on a contemporary song. Kudos.

The bottom three will be Chris, Kiki and Phil.

Who do you think is going home?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I thought Blake's performance was bad(hated it!,as Men on Film used to say)but Chris was way worse. He needs to go home.

I felt bad for Jordin,she was really trying but that song just didn't suit her at all. My girl Lakisha came back in stride there and Melinda was awesome! I hope that Jordin stays-keeping my fingers crossed!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home