Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Love Love Love

I finally got my hormone-ravaged body to a movie this weekend and boy was it worth it. I didn’t have that immediate feeling of, ‘I left the house for this crap.” Amazing. I had the privilege of seeing Across the Universe; the Julie Taymor directed film that managed to fit 30 or so Beatles songs into the context of a movie. It doesn’t seem that difficult when you look at the diversity and length of their catalog.

It reminded me of Mamma Mia, in that you knew the songs ahead of time and didn’t have to decipher lyrics or if you liked the song. Of course MM was made for me since I’m an ABBA nerd. I can’t wait for Meryl to bring it to life onscreen. As I get older, my appreciation of Beatles songs gets stronger. The strength of their songs lies in the simplicity and emotion of the lyrics. Period. It’s not about over-singing to cover up weak lyrics or belting them out. The melodies are often simple and always heartbreaking. They stand the test of time. Forty years later and Yesterday is still relatable and even more important relevant. I can’t say enough about their writing skills. Brilliant! I place them with Stevie Wonder, James Taylor, Elton John/Bernie Taupin and Cole Porter. Their songs live and breathe as if they were written yesterday. Not many of today’s pop songs will do the same.

The plot of Across the Universe isn’t as important as the meaning in the songs or the vision of their execution. The film follows ex-Liverpool resident Jude (Jim Sturgess), angelic Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), conflicted Prudence (T.V. Carpio), saucy Sadie (Dana Fuchs), soulful JoJo (Martin Luther McCoy) and fun guy turned Vietnam soldier Max (Joe Anderson) during their turbulent lives in 1960s NYC.

The most moving moments belonged to Wood as she broke my heart singing If I Fell and McCoy’s smoky version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Joe Cocker gave one hell of a cameo. Let’s the just when put in a zoot suit, he looks like a Puerto Rican pimp. Enough said. There were images that will stay with me including bleeding strawberries and a Pink Floyd The Wall recruitment scene. All dreamy and memorable. The Mr. Kite scene was very Moulin Rouge.

The movie was a bit long but I appreciated the originality so much I forgave that. Sturgess was adorable and Jake Gyllenhaul-esque. By the time they got to Hey Jude, I was cheering. Wood was endearing, though I find it hard to erase her Lolita role with boyfriend Marilyn Manson. Yuck! I know I should be more adult but YUCK!!

This film made me think about my favorite Beatles song. Years ago the list wouldn’t have existed but today it’s plentiful.

In My Life

I’ve written before that this song makes me cry every time. It’s so tender and honest. I thought about using as my wedding song.

Revolution

I love this when it’s performed in a punchy almost punk style. I love the lyrics and the vibe of the song.

Yesterday

Who doesn’t love this song? It’s essential Beatles. Innocent and magical, before they started growing up and turned more worldly.

Obla-de obla-da

What can I say? I was fan of Life Goes On. I’m convinced if I ever had twins I’d call them Molly and Desmond.


Penny Lane

Can’t describe it. I think I simply dig the melody.


Have you seen Across the Universe? What’s your favorite Beatles song?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I haven't seen a movie in awhile(last one I saw was Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix)but do like the Beatles.

One of my personal favorites is "When I'm 64"-I like the quirky tone of it and the simple everyday romantic tone of the lyrics("Will you still need me/will you still feed me/when I'm 64?").

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

I've always loved "Fool on a Hill." Not sure if it's my very favorite, though. Have to get back to you on that.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home