Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, September 14, 2007

What tops your list?

I just read the funniest thing about Elizabeth Taylor. I don’t know why this struck me as funny but it did and also exposes my warped sense of humor. You be the judge. Read here. I don’t know if it’s more amusing that she’s makin’ with men or that the guy is black, something that would have killed her career at its height.

My good buddy JR passed me this interesting list of the Time magazine’s 100 best TV shows ever. We have this ritual of taking anything from Emmy nominations and Kennedy Center Honoree lists and picking them apart. We’re a better dressed Siskel & Ebert. I’d like to think that we hone our pop culture street cred with these practices but we might just a tad bit bitchy and opinionated. Whatever the reason, we adore the banter.

The list is peppered with the usual I Love Lucy, MASH and Roots. I love the off beat additions of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (watched it but was too young to get it), Arrested Development, SOAP and Pee Wee’s Playhouse (I spent many a Saturday waiting for the Secret Word).

HOWEVER, and you know where this is going, I noticed a few shows that could have been added to this list.

Good Times

This was America’s first real glimpse into black urban life. Though it was played for laughs, they still tackled current issues. It’s also important to note that it was mainstream network that took the chance on airing the program. It ranks up there with All in the Family, which was superior in showing a racist/conservative character that you ended up loving.

Laverne and Shirley

I just had to add this because it is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. It produced memorable characters that are still hilarious today.

The Grinch That Stole Christmas

You could argue this as the best Christmas cartoon ever especially since it’s still played every December. I music is iconic and the miserable Grinch is one of the best all time villains.

Hereos

I know it may be too early to add but I think there’s an argument for its addition. Not only from a storytelling point of view and creativity. It is also a marketing genius.

Who do you think is missing from the list?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Que Pasa USA, of course.

And, I really miss the round-table discussions of the nominees du jour.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Maude" deserves a spot on the list, too. Groundbreaking, well-written, well-acted, often insightful and usually hilarious. Gave birth to "Good Times," so merits inclusion for that if nothing else.

And give me "Jeopardy" over "The Price is Right" any old day. The Final Jeopardy theme alone blows Price out of the water.

And, T, I'll second your QPUSA nomination. ¡Viva los Peñas!

1:37 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

Glad to see Buffy made the list and Gilmore Girls,even Beavis and Butthead(I liked that show better than Ren and Stimpy,which made no sense to me whatsoever) but do agree about Good Times. That was a damn fine show.

I think a few honorable mentions should've gone to the following:

Golden Girls,V the miniseries,Quantum Leap,Little House on the Prairie,The Electric Company and atleast one Sid & Marty Kroft production!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about The Waltons? Captain Kangaroo? Barney Miller? thirtysomething?

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in! Oh my god. Daring, topical, funny, original--and gave us Goldie Hawn, Lily Tomlin and others. Omigod!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home