Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Rose Tattoo

After weeks of watching the intriguing previews for LA Ink, I finally took the bait and watched the show. I wasn’t a fan of Miami Ink. I caught a marathon of what must have been the second season and was instantly bored to tears. The fascinating part of MI was Kat (resident babe), the zany tattoo hungry customers and the actual art of tattooing. The artists were pretty mundane in personality but their art was interesting. Face it. You can only take so much of people trying to explain the meaning behind their scull and cross bones tattoo.

So why did I attempt LAI? Kat Von D. Even her name is theatrical. Don’t get me wrong. She’s not the most exciting person but her persona is interesting. She’s a colorful blend of pin up girl, tattooed lady and rocker. She and her friends represent a new wave of beauty that’s edgy, feminine but tough. Full tattoo sleeves mixed with Veronica Lake hairdos.

Well, LAI isn’t very interesting. Much of the same from MI. But at least Kat and her friends made me think about the changing face of beauty. I love the vivid colors and imagery of her ink art but have to ask, “What happens if she decides this isn’t her look anymore?” It’s a look that can be carried into your 40s and 50s but as my mom reminded me when I got my tatoos, what looks cute at 20 may not look good at 60. But what does?

Oh yea, here’s another personal tidbit. I have two tattoos. A sun burst on my left breast and three tiny (and typical) butterflies with my signature on the side of my right thigh. I’d like to say that the butterflies represent freedom but I wasn’t that deep at 22. It was a small act of rebellion that can be covered up by even the shortest shorts. I don’t think I’d have the guts or the pain tolerance to get a full sleeve tattoo but that’s just me.

So, I’m thinking whose personal style do I admire but couldn’t and wouldn’t in a million years try to mimic.

Dita Von Teese

Kat must worship at the alter of this neo-burlesque queen. Even their names are similar. With alabaster skin and impeccable attention to detail. Dita brings a modern edge to 40s style pin up fashion.

Pink

I love her punky tomboy quality. It’s natural for her boyish physique and spiky crew cut. She mixes her androgyny with feminine make up and perfectly coiffed hair.

Kimora Lee

You have to admire her over-the-top drag queen style. She’s glitzy and shimmered to perfection and she’s 10 feet tall. Her diva attitude adds to her tranny chic.

What celebrity has killer style that you admire but couldn’t pull off?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

Kat Von D is very talented;whenever I did watch Miami Ink,the best part of the show was seeing her tattoo portraits of people(usually a loved one who had passed away)on those who wanted to honor their memory.

My mother and sister both have tattoos(my mom's is an old school homemade one,while my sis sports several different ones such as a triple panel of Calvin and Hobbes)but not me. Sometimes,I consider getting one done.

I use to dig Bette Midler's wacky concert persona,back in the day. Her mix of 1940's burlesque and modern day bawdiness seemed so cool to me. Nowadays,it's Gwen Stefani whose style I crave.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

I agree that Kat's tattoos are amazing, even though I really dislike portrait tats. Also, sleeve tats on a girl just make me feel grossed out - I just don't think it's attractive.

As far as style goes, I love but cannot pull off Natalie Portman and the impossible-to-imitate Audrey Hepburn.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home