Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

You know how you see a preview of a movie and remain unimpressed. Especially when other movies are released about a similar topic. If you’re a regular reader, you’ll remember that was my reaction to The Prestige and The Illusionist. While I still have to watch my TiVo’d Illusionist, I did see TP.

Must say it wasn’t that bad. The constant twists and turns become a bit annoying after the first hour but it keeps you interested and slightly intrigued. TP is about rival magicians Robert Angier (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale). The film examines the lengths they will go to in order to perform the perfect unforgettable magic trick. The ending reminded me of the Twilight Zone. Michael Caine takes an interesting turn as their mentor Cutter. Scarlett Johansson was thrown in for her obligatory bombshell role. Nothing new there. Look for a major rock pioneer where you least expect him.

Halfway through the movie I couldn’t help but think Wolverine was battling Batman. Strange but that’s the way my brain meandered. I also started thinking about films with similar subject and how one usually outshines the other.

Here’s a look at my choices:

Apocalypse Now vs. Platoon

I saw both of these films years ago but the images and sounds of AN are haunting and have stayed with me. I can’t remember that much from the other film. AP is the quintessential Vietnam movie.

The Godfather vs. Goodfellas

I give my nod to the classic glimpse into old school organized crime organizations. I really like Goodfellas but keep coming back to the original Godfather Marlon Brando. It has created some of the best phrases in pop culture.

The Exorcist vs. The Omen

Both freaked me out but I think Damien wins. The menacing nature and pure creepiness of the mood of the film freaks me out.

The Serpent and the Rainbow vs. Angel Heart

I usually don’t watch movies about the devil or voodoo because they get under my skin and I believe in those entities. Not believe as in I worship Satan but more like I think that shit can happen. SATR was an even film with an interesting story. AH was a bit disjointed and gratuitous at time.

Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects

I have to side with RD here. It was provocative and thrilling. TUS was great with a big bang ending but it took you a while to get there.

What other comparisons would you add to this list?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

I caught up with The Prestige and The Illusionist on DVD and found them both to be good films with their own unique spins(TP's ending is very TZ,I do agree).

The compare/contrasts for me would be:

Batman Begins/Superman Returns

As much as I dig the Big Blue Boy Scout,I gotta admit that Dark Knight wins this one hands down. BB plunges right into the re-invention pool there while SR is a tad too respectful of the Superman legend to really cut loose. I'll still see both sequels to them,tho.

Nightmare Before Christmas/Corpse Bride

I like CB but it is too Goth for the little ones. NBC is good ghoulish family fun for all.

Road to Perdition/History of Violence

It's a real tough call-both films are amazing examples of graphic novels that translate beautifully to the screen.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home