Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Summertime and the Living is Easy

To commemorate the first day of summer which was yesterday. I’d like to give a loving tribute to the dog days of summer. As a wee child growing up in Ohio, my fondest memories are summertime. A colorful blend of lemonade, popsicles, fireflies and hide and seek. Over the years, other smells, sounds and tastes have entered my summer lexicon. Naturally, a lot of the memories are informed by pop culture but even more by personal tastes.

Here’s a sweet homage to music and movies that remind me of great summer memories:

Summertime - Will Smith

This is one of my favorite summer songs. I love the way he revels in a typical summer day that culminates in a cook out. That’s the way summer was for me. Going to the mall, buying an outfit and wearing it out that night. Plus he adds his goofy spin on the rap and the video. Classic Fresh Prince.

Cruel Summer-Bananarama

I’ve written about this before. How this song tapped into whatever little angst my mom would allow me to have. It’s a playful tune that still takes me back to junior high.

Blue Crush- 2002

I know it’s a fluffy chick flick but how much fun is it to watch. It makes you want to go to Hawaii and be a bad ass surfer. It also makes you want to be young, wild and free but that’s a story for another time.

Dirty Dancing- 1987

This movie makes me long for a summer in Catskills and a hunky slightly greasy man cake to teach me the mambo. This is a perfect summer movie.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off- 1986

I told myself that for Senior skip Day I was going to travel to Pittsburgh for a Ferris Bueller adventure. Flash forward three years. I was in school being the dutiful student but longing for the FB experience.

What are your favorite summertime memories?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Tere said...

Cruel Summer soooo rocks!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

"Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly and the Family Stones!!!!!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Jeff Ronci said...

Ooops. Make that "Stone".

7:55 PM  
Blogger lady t said...

I always liked "Summer in the city" by the Lovin' Spoonfuls-it described alot of my childhood summers.

Also,I remember the summer I saw Batman(Tim Burton/Michael Keaton version)-I saw it on opening day at my local moviehouse,wearing my knock-off Batman logo t-shirt(total geekiod,but happy as a clam). Good times:)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Tere said...

Oh! And "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry - love that song!

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home