Diva Knows Best

Diva Knows Best is equal parts sarcastic wit, mid-west sensibility, media savvy, and pop culture wonder. There’s a strong voice of someone who is fascinated by all things celebrity but can see through the slick manufactured façade to discover valuable life lessons.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

How does this work?

Okay, I’ve never thought about this before. I’m so enthralled with films, actors, directors and the occasional writer. I live for awards season and take immeasurable pride in winning the office Oscar pool. It’s just the way I’m built. I’ve grown accustomed to it. But I’ve never thought about in the individuals that make up the Academy. I know there are representatives from all aspects of film not only actors.

The running gag is that they are a bunch of old fuddy duddies that vote for their aging peers and don’t appreciate groundbreaking filmmaking. Which brings me to my point today. I just saw a list of the newly inducted members. Check it here. I paid special attention to the actor inductees. Some were expected, some were welcoming and others were disappointing.

I like the fact that Adriana Barraza, Daniel Craig, Aaron Eckhart, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Ryan Gosling were selected. It was hard to imagine that Christopher Plummer was just inducted along with Eddie Murphy. Now if Eddie is just getting nominated after all these years and films, explain why Jennifer Aniston is being inducted. Besides my usual inexplicable dislike for her was her work in The Break Up that career defining. Granted she’s had excellent turns in Friends with Money and The Good Girl but so soon.

You know I loved Dreamgirls but Jennifer Hudson. It might be automatic that if you win, you get an invite. I’m not hating but I stand by my prediction that she will never to another movie or be doomed to play the big sassy girl who can sing. I hope this isn’t the case but I feel especially pissy today.

What are your thoughts on the inductees?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger lady t said...

It's been my understanding that once you were nominated for an Oscar,you would instantly be qualified to become an official Academy Award voter(which explains Eddie Murphy's current invite).

On the actor's list,however,there are plenty of non nominees like Aniston and Steve Carell so I don't know why there but hey,why not?

I didn't see The Break Up(looked too gimmicky-'Look,I'm not upset about Brangelina,here's me and my new boyfriend!") but Jen did some great work in The Good Girl and I really liked her in She's The One.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starbuckbony???

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home